Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get off the Earth

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    This is a very old & popular puzzle, but I just found out about it:

SO WEIRD :bugeye: I guess it has something to do with a discontinuous point function?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

There are 12 Chinaman in one view and 13 things that look like Chinamen in the other view. However, each of those 13 things is actually 12/13 of a Chinaman. 13*12/13=12.
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's the one inside one that shares a leg with an outside one. No "body" is in the slot clockwise from it to be moved into that place. It's not a complete body on it's own, since there is really a shared leg (also why you don't get a stray leg somewhere).
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    I would say they add one person to the bottom right part of the globe.
    People on the right side don't have faces, so it is hard to distinguish when they insert one more.
    I first counted 7 top people and covered bottom ones with paper and then I counted the bottom ones only.

Count the ppl. in both pics between the fat man and the pony tail on right side.
    There are three faceless ppl. in one and two in other

From sharing same legs, do you mean one at the bottom?
  6. Jul 18, 2008 #5
    That's where I noticed the missing guy
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?