How can the work required to remove a solid ball from water be calculated?

• Thread starter Copycat91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Water
In summary, the problem asks to calculate the work required to remove a solid ball with radius r and mass m from a tank filled with water, assuming the ball has the same density as water. The equation for buoyant force and gravitational force are given, and the solution of W = mgr is found. However, there is a tricky solution using Archimedes' Principle that states the buoyant force is equal to the amount of fluid displaced. Therefore, an infinitesimal amount of force is needed to move the ball in any direction, but work is done on the water when the ball is completely submerged. Conservation of energy states that the same amount of work is required to remove the ball from the tank. The dimensions of the tank and the negligible
Copycat91

Homework Statement

A solid ball with radius r and mass m is located inside an opened wide tank filled with water. The ball has the same density with water.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jn57XA2jL...41pJXdRc/s1600-h/Get+Ball+Out+from+Water.jpg"
Calculate work required to get the ball out from the water!
Ignore viscosity and surface tension.

Homework Equations

Fbuoy = ρgV
Fgrav = -mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found its answer, W = mgr, but http://collectionofphysicsproblems.blogspot.com/" , it says there's a tricky solution.
I hope anyone could help on finding the tricky solution.
Thanks.
http://collectionofphysicsproblems.blogspot.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Archimedes' Principle to figure this one. Think about the amount of water displaced when the ball is completely submerged.

Hmm...
Wouldn't it really need integral?
If I use archimedes buoyancy force, it would...
W=integral(ρgV dh)

An integration is not required. Archimedes Principle states the bouyant force is equal to the amount of fluid displaced. The ball has the same density of water so it neutrally bouyant (bouyant force equals gravitational force). So, an infinitesimal amount of force will move the ball (ignoring viscosity) in any direction. But work was done on the water when the ball was completely submerged (water level increased). Conservation of energy states the same amount of work is required to remove the ball from the tank.

It is given that the tank is wide, so the rise in the level of liquid is ~~ negligible.
and Neither we have dimensions for tank.

What is the best method for getting a ball out of water?

The best method for getting a ball out of water depends on the specific situation and the type of ball. For small, lightweight balls, the most effective method is usually to use a pool skimmer or net to scoop the ball out of the water. For larger or heavier balls, a pool vacuum or a bucket with holes can be used to scoop the ball out. In some cases, a pool pump can also be used to drain the water and retrieve the ball.

What should I do if the ball sinks to the bottom of the water?

If the ball sinks to the bottom of the water, it may be more difficult to retrieve. In this case, it is best to use a pool vacuum or a bucket with holes to scoop the ball out. If the ball is too heavy to be lifted out of the water, it may be necessary to drain the water using a pool pump or to use a long-handled pool skimmer to reach and scoop the ball from the bottom.

Can I use chemicals to dissolve the water and retrieve the ball?

No, using chemicals to dissolve the water is not recommended. Not only can it be harmful to the environment and the pool's chemical balance, but it may also damage the ball. It is best to use physical methods to retrieve the ball from the water.

What should I do if the ball is stuck in a pool drain or filter?

If the ball is stuck in a pool drain or filter, do not attempt to retrieve it yourself. This can be dangerous and may cause damage to the pool's plumbing system. Instead, contact a professional pool maintenance service for assistance.

How can I prevent balls from falling into the water in the first place?

To prevent balls from falling into the water, make sure to keep them away from the pool area when not in use. If possible, designate a specific area for playing with balls that is at a safe distance from the pool. Additionally, make sure to regularly check the pool's water level and make adjustments if needed to prevent balls from accidentally falling in.