Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get this out of my head.

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    Reduceing atmosphric pressure

Six electrical contacts as small and as close as we can make them on a surface. Call them ABCDEF. Apply current to C&D electrons are separated from air molecules in contact with C&D. Apply a positive charge to A the electrons will be drawn to A across B. Apply a negative charge to F the air molecules short electrons will be drawn to F across E.The electrons that come in contact with B will pass through a wire to E. Some of current can be harnessed that was needed to separate the electrons from the air can be recovered. As the positively charged air moves off C&D pushes the air off E&F. This will be repeated over and over again one after another also side by side covering a ever larger and larger area. We are moving this air with no moving parts so how fast can we make it move? Moving air over a surface reduces pressure on that surface. IF I am not wrong and the math does not get in the way This could make things fly.Could the six contacts points be made of tungsten nanorods? I truely do not see where I am wrong but it is to simple to work .Please I have thought of this to long but I can not do the math will never run into some one that can till I find out why it does not work I can not seem to let it go. Please Help.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect that the voltage required to ionize air greatly exceeds the breakdown of any dialectic placed between the wires in your arrangement.

OTOH years ago a hobby magazine published construction details for a solid state flier.
    Simply apply about 30,000 volts to the power leads and it would fly.
    No switching required.

The lawyers would be standing in line nowadays. :uhh:
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    What is dialectic the contact pionts? I tried looking up the sats on tungston nanorods found sats on carbonnano tubes but could not understand them. I heard of a expara ment where they heated the nano rod but do not know what they can take . I do not know how big a nano rod is how meny air molecules are incontact at one time how meny volts to ions them? like I said there is so much I do not know
  5. Oct 16, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dialectic=insulator in this case

>how meny air molecules
    First of all it would be the pointy end of the rod you are interested in.
    So the answer is one.

>but could not understand them
    Now you know what your first task is. :biggrin:

6. Oct 16, 2004 #5
    Frist thing

The insulator would be a problem I never thought of. But the frist thing I think would be how few moluculs of air are needed to move how fast to get a efect that would do any good.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  7. Oct 16, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That answer you can probably look up or some calculations.

Tells you nothing about if your proposed mechanism can do this.

Its would actually be the last question you answer.
    Since that answer says if your idea is any good or not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?