Get your thinking caps on

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
honestrosewater said:
What's the idea behind referring to complex machines as females?
I think I can speak for most men on this one. Men appreciate the beauty of a finely crafted piece of hardware. To him its more than the sum of its parts. It is a piece of fine art that is to be cherished. With that in mind it is no wonder we refer to some machines as girl or baby or some affectionate term.

Good question, cause my cars are always females. The one I drive daily, I call her Saturn Girl..lol cause Saturn Girls Rule!
I did have a old Ford Fairlane named Bud, he hated his name so much he smashed himself into the back side of a parking ramp.

wolram
Gold Member
brewnog said:
Hooray for 106-based French hatchbacks!

My sunroof pisses water whenever there's a shower. Still love her though.
The one good thing about these small cars is fuel consumption, the needle on
the fuel gauge hardly ever moves, like the one on the speedo.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:
The one good thing about these small cars is fuel consumption, the needle on

Nah both needles on mine seem to shift, tis a 1.6 petrol. Although I still manage a constant 45mpg, can't really complain since it's never going to break (well, apart from all the trim which falls off on a daily basis).

wolram said:
the needle on
are the needles on your speedo painful? :rofl:

wolram
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
What's the idea behind referring to complex machines as females?
They can be a thing of beauty or be quite plain, but we love them for what they
are, even if they can be cantankerous at times, yep she's a good un my 106.

wolram
Gold Member
hypatia said:
are the needles on your speedo painful? :rofl:
No but your wit is painfully sharp :biggrin:

I cant even begin to tell you how many times my vintage cars start only after you say"Come on sweetie, be a good girl, mama loves you" and varooom! they start.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Hm, I'm getting a vision...

Hey baby,
I think you're a finely crafted piece of hardware. Wanna be my love machine?
Love,
Townsend

honestrosewater said:
Hm, I'm getting a vision...

Hey baby,
I think you're a finely crafted piece of hardware. Wanna be my love machine?
Love,
Townsend
:blushing:

wolram
Gold Member
hypatia said:
I cant even begin to tell you how many times my vintage cars start only after you say"Come on sweetie, be a good girl, mama loves you" and varooom! they start.
Vintage cars? :surprised I am drooling, and those words would fire up any
old wreak. :biggrin:

Evo
Mentor
I noticed that the forum started going downhill in May.

I recall that even several years ago, it became sluggish with the onset of finals and summer breaks. Even I myself, would rather be outside enjoying the weather, then stuck behind this PC. Too much paper work to do! :mad:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Vintage cars hyp?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
I noticed that the forum started going downhill in May.
Yeah, the kids get out of school and don't want to think during the summer, so there are very few posts on the science boards and a lot of nonsense in GD.

And what happened to tribdog and Huckleberry? They've both disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle or something. I tried emailing Huck and didn't get any reply that way either. Does anyone know if he's okay? I know at least tribdog checked in a while ago and mentioned he was away for work a lot, and he's been known to just disappear before.

Why do they dim the lights in the airport at night?!? I'm just noticing that it's getting very dim around here and I have at least 2 more hours of sitting around trying to stay awake; dim lights aren't going to help with that! :grumpy: I'm glad I left a day early so I could sightsee in Quebec tomorrow. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll either still be in Newark or sleeping in very late in Quebec!

brewnog said:
Vintage cars hyp?
yes, my son and I have restored several. It started out by finishing a project car left unfinished by a untimely death, a 1932 Ford coup.
We found we worked well together, so next came the 69 Ford Mach2Mustang. We were lucky, a neighbor helped with the proto-type of it, and had several yard of vinyl for the interior in his garage..and some very critical engine parts.
Then came the 69Chevy Chevelle, which was tricky, we switched out the factory engine, to a 302 Ford and added a fuel cell. It was the first time we had to tear down to the basic frame. Lots of sweat went into that one, but its a babe, and one of the fastest street legal cars around.
Now we are working on a 78 chevy truck, the bodies pretty much done, per my sons demand of dropping the frame,tubbing it out and shaving the door handles, I just got the wiring harness, but am waiting till the paint job before we assemble it all. As a suprise for him, I'm haveing a custom chrome billit inset with his name, put into the tailgate.
In the pole barn waits a 42 ford truck and a 64&1/2 Mustang.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Why do they dim the lights in the airport at night?!? I'm just noticing that it's getting very dim around here and I have at least 2 more hours of sitting around trying to stay awake; dim lights aren't going to help with that! :grumpy: I'm glad I left a day early so I could sightsee in Quebec tomorrow. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll either still be in Newark or sleeping in very late in Quebec!
Hey, Moonbear, WAKE UP!! :biggrin:

Hope you have a safe and fun trip. :)

lwymarie said:
Hey, does anyone here plan to follow the diet mentioned in this site?
I don't know about everything on that site....

I think just plain good exercise and mental activity and a good diet are best.

Some people think creatine is also helpful... I don't know what to believe though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm