1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getch() for linux

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    I use the linux operating system. And at present programming in C.
    The getch() doesn't seem to exist on Linux. I know that it is a DOS based command. What is the substitute for getch() on Linux.

I mean is there any command out there which can take my input without displaying the output. I tried the getpass() command but it doesn't work fine

Can someone please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

getchar(), although if you need each character at a time without waiting for the enter key you might have to set the terminal mode.
    Remember unix is written in C and C was invented for unix so any good C book (such as K&R) will apply directly to unix/linux

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    Can you please repeat the name of the book. I mean i don't know the acronym

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have my example at hand. You have to use termios to set the terminal (tty) to non-canonical mode, read a keystroke, then reset the tty to canonical mode.

In other words it is OS dependent - the example I gave was unix-based. Windows has a call - _getche() as I remember. You can set the tty mode in windows as well.

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?