Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getch() for linux

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    I use the linux operating system. And at present programming in C.
    The getch() doesn't seem to exist on Linux. I know that it is a DOS based command. What is the substitute for getch() on Linux.

I mean is there any command out there which can take my input without displaying the output. I tried the getpass() command but it doesn't work fine

Can someone please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

getchar(), although if you need each character at a time without waiting for the enter key you might have to set the terminal mode.
    Remember unix is written in C and C was invented for unix so any good C book (such as K&R) will apply directly to unix/linux

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    Can you please repeat the name of the book. I mean i don't know the acronym

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have my example at hand. You have to use termios to set the terminal (tty) to non-canonical mode, read a keystroke, then reset the tty to canonical mode.

In other words it is OS dependent - the example I gave was unix-based. Windows has a call - _getche() as I remember. You can set the tty mode in windows as well.

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?