Welcome to Physics Forums: Shane's Journey to Engineering

In summary, the speaker is a 21-year-old named Shane who currently works for Applied Materials and is interested in pursuing a BSEE. Due to his job's travel requirements, he is considering an online program from ASU, but is unsure about its effectiveness and the lack of hands-on experience. The speaker also asks for opinions on the most financially stable and growing type of engineering.
Shane Short
Hey everyone, new to Physics Forums and happy I've found it.

To start, my name is Shane, I currently work for Applied Materials. We engineer, maintain, and support tools in the semiconductor industry. I'm 21 years old, and currently on the Global team. Meaning, I travel 90% of the time, supporting other teams that need help, and installs. Through work I have pretty great tuition reimbursement I would really like to take advantage of (8500.00/ yr.). I've been dying to get into Electrical Engineering... its genuinely something I've wanted to do for 3 years now, but due to finances, moving around constantly for work, etc. I've put it off, which I regret. And I was raised in a super anti-college, pro- trade family.

So long story short, end all, be all, I would like to have a BSEE and if not an MBA then a Bachelors of some sort in Business. (forgive me if I'm getting terminology here, I will humbly admit I know very little about the college system), but above all, a BSEE, with that being said... for the next 2 years I'm dedicated to traveling work, and after multitudes of applications, hours of researching schools, and programs that can work around my schedule and the fact that i'll be in Korea one month, Germany the next, Israel, etc. etc. etc. the ONLY school I can find that can work with me is ASU's online BSEE program. I understand the deficit of hands on experience I will have with this vs. University labs, but I'm just trying to find something that will work. So as far as labs, they send them via mail, in kits, now I'm not sure how that makes up for oscilloscopes, and other expensive tools that I obviously won't have on hand. But what I'm thinking is since the first 2 years seems to be mostly prerequisites anyways, would it really be that bad of an option to do my first 2 years online, then when I'm finished with my 2 years and have my remaining 2- 2.5, I would be back home in Portland working regularly there, where I can attend, and have been previously accepted to the Maseeh College of Engineering. Nothing about my online part of it would ever show up on my degree, it's not something that I'm worried about affecting my future careers/ career here. I just want to know if anyone has ever gone a route like this? What your opinions are. If it really seems like that bad of a route, etc. Also ASU has been ranked outstandingly by places like US News, etc, but the reviews from the actual students are so so mixed that I'm about ready to rip my hair out, especially because idk what their personality is, work ethic, and if the bad reviews were from lazy students, or what..

Another weird thing is, ASU's courses/ classes/ terms/ whatever, are every 7.5 weeks, not 15 like normal apparently? I saw some people freaking out about it online, I have no idea what the normal amount is.

*Extra Credit: What is your favorite type of engineering? And why? Which one would you rather have pursued if you're not happy where you are at? Which one do you think is the most financially stable? And which one do you think will be growing the most?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am an EE and certainly found that the first 2 years was mostly math, physics, chemistry, computer programming, etc., with just a couple of electrical engineering classes, so most of it could have been done anywhere. I don't have any knowledge or experience with the ASU online program. In principle it doesn't seem like online is a bad way to go if it works with your schedule, finances and (very importantly) your learning style. Hopefully folks with more experience with online education will chime in!

One decision you will need to make is whether you try to enjoy and absorb what you can while you travel the world (as a young man!) for a couple of years and then start school once you have stable living arrangement, or whether you spend your off-duty hours in Seoul and Tel Aviv in your hotel room doing homework in order to start your degree two years sooner.

By the way, things like oscilloscopes are not such a barrier these days. A number of companies make small oscilloscopes that fit in your pocket and plug into a laptop for the screen and software control. I own a Picoscope that I use for hobby electronics; for $160 it is plenty capable for all of the electronics labs I took the first 3 years of college
https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-overview
It would not be fast enough for high speed digital or RF.

I wish you the best,

Jason

Likes CalcNerd

1. What is "Welcome to Physics Forums: Shane's Journey to Engineering" about?

"Welcome to Physics Forums: Shane's Journey to Engineering" is an interactive and educational game that follows the story of a young aspiring engineer named Shane. Through various challenges and puzzles, players will learn about different concepts in physics and engineering and how they can be applied in the real world.

2. Is this game suitable for all ages?

Yes, this game is suitable for all ages. It is designed to be educational and entertaining for anyone interested in learning more about physics and engineering. It can also be a great tool for parents and educators to introduce these concepts to younger audiences.

3. How is this game different from other educational games?

This game offers a unique blend of storytelling and interactive gameplay to engage players in learning about physics and engineering. It also provides real-world examples and applications of these concepts, making it more relatable and practical.

4. Do I need prior knowledge in physics or engineering to play this game?

No, this game is designed to be accessible to players of all levels. It starts with basic concepts and gradually introduces more complex ideas, allowing players to learn at their own pace. However, having some background knowledge in physics and engineering may enhance the gameplay experience.

5. Can I play this game on any device?

Yes, this game is available on multiple platforms, including computers, tablets, and smartphones. As long as you have an internet connection, you can access and play the game from any device.