Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a * iq test

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

getting a ******* iq test

has anyone else found it this hard to get an IQ test? I tried my school counseler, who said that the only IQ tests she gave were for special ed. she said I should take an online test. I told her it wasn't accurate enough. so she cam up with her next brilliant Idea to take an IQ test online. :grumpy: so after so many times of explaining it. I just ended it with 'we're gonna go now'

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2
    Why do you care?

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You expect someone to give you a free, professional IQ test just because you want one. Save your energy; I can give you an accurate score based on that information alone. :tongue2:

5. Aug 14, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How mean! *slaps you with a salmon*

As for the OP, a few universities conduct IQ tests along with various other institutions. I believe there are a few well known IQ tests... so just search for them :P. They'll have places where they are doing exams.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  6. Aug 14, 2005 #5
    But why do you want an IQ test? Why is it important to you to know that result?

7. Aug 14, 2005 #6
    IQ tests are for the weak. :smile:

A second rachmaninoff's question: why do you really care what your IQ is? How will this knowledge influence your life? How will it make your life better/more fulfilling?

There's really no reason to take an IQ test, unless you hope you'll get a high score so you can lord it over your friends.

8. Aug 14, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And theres a good benefit :D Id do it for that if i was still in high school adn the test took less then an hour and didnt cost me anything.

9. Aug 14, 2005 #8
    Don't listen to Pengwuino, you'll just end up losing all your friends, and you'll become a Neocon. :tongue2:

10. Aug 14, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well thats what comes with being intelligent :rolleyes:

11. Aug 14, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You guys don't value self-knowledge?
    IQ tests can also determine your eligibility for programs suited to your abilities, which can have huge effects on your success.

12. Aug 14, 2005 #11
    Self-knowledge is really the point. I know my abilities more or less accurately without some test either confirming this or telling me otherwise. If you do exceptionally well at academic things, are a strong thinker, etc, and the IQ test tells you that your IQ is average, how is this helpful. You don't become "average" because the test indicates that you are. The opposite is equally true. In other words, IQ tests have no value beyond perhaps placing you in the right programs. But if you're really intelligent, you should be able to challenge and interest yourself, right?

13. Aug 14, 2005 #12
    Yup. Intelligent people must inevitably take IQ tests, get wonderful results, lord it over all their friends until they have none, and then turn to neoconservatism. The tragedy.

14. Aug 14, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

like cheaper car insurance!

15. Aug 14, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well like they say, if your 40 and not a conservative, you dont have a brain :D.

16. Aug 14, 2005 #15
    I've never heard of any programs that consider IQ as an admission factor. :confused:

And what's "self-knowledge"? Is that something you know about yourself?

17. Aug 14, 2005 #16
    edited because the joke made no sense whatsoever. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2005
  18. Aug 14, 2005 #17
  19. Aug 14, 2005 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I just chose 'ability' to refer to what the test measures; I realize 'ability' has other meanings, and this may be why I'm not sure what you're postion is:
    You have other ways of measuring what IQ tests measure, so they have no value.
    You think IQ tests (usually) fail to measure what they're supposed to measure, so they have no value.
    You think IQ tests (usually) measure what they're supposed to measure, so they have no value.
    Or something else?
    I don't know. If this was referring to appropriate placement in classes/programs/jobs, you aren't always free to challenge and interest yourself in those situations. And I'm not talking about programs only for people with above average scores, but for people with average and below average scores as well. It's just a matter of appropriateness.

20. Aug 14, 2005 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I never saw that joke; you have left me very intrigued.
    And now, I'll never know why the joke didn't make any sense.. :cry:

21. Aug 14, 2005 #20
    I don't think any measure of intelligence or potential (let alone IQ scores) should have any influence on what people can do; it smacks of elitism. I'm going to sleep, before my IQ falls any lower. Btw, have you seen the film 'Gattaca'?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?