1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a job abroad

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I wanted some information as to how one should proceed to get a job in country X when he is in country Y, which is a 15-hour plane ride away.

The easy way would be doing my degree in country X and working my way from there but the odds are that I will *have* to do this in Y. How do I proceed? I intend on going into physics or applied maths and perhaps, do a one year masters in stats or CS in Europe.

Just wanted to know. I want to start making some $$ asap while doing something intellectually stimulating. I think it's good to have a rough idea of what is feasible before I get into anything.

Note that country X could actually be anywhere the jobs are. I have no problem with moving to Tombouctou, if I have to. Could be an interesting adventure.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

fss

Find somebody that knows someone in that country that can get you a job. Honestly I don't see how anyone would answer your question - many jobs require a language you might not know. Others might be running at 30% unemployment and have no reason to hire a foreigner. You've only listed vague statements about what you are trying to accomplish.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    I wanted to know if getting some kind of job doing math or cs-like with a master's degree only was possible. If it is now, assuming immigration laws and such don't change 4-5 years from now, well, it should be then.

Could be anywhere: France, North America, England, Australia, New Zealand, I don't care. I speak French/English.

The original plan was to go all the way to a PhD but I don't think I'd want to stay in that environment for that long and I think starting to make some money earlier would be better.

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4
    I did an internship abroad (not 15, but 8 hours away)
    I think I might have been lucky to get it though.
    I found an interesting internship offer, applied the same way like I'd do in my country and quickly got it. It was interesting for them to get a student from abroad and as long as you speak English everything will be fine! I live in Europe and I can tell you that you won't have a language problem in almost any European country.
    So I'd suggest to proceed like this: pick a country you like -> use Google to find out about jobs in the physics sector in that country (every country has some kind of physics society where you'll find that information) -> email the employer -> book a flight ticket

6. Sep 16, 2011 #5
    Something that will help is if you finish your Ph.D. Having a Ph.D. gets you in front of the immigration queue.

Also something that will help a lot is if you go to school in country X.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook