1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a Job at NASA

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone I am currently a freshman in college planning on applying to the School of Engineering next fall. I want to be an Astronautical Engineer but my school doesn't even have Aerospace so I was planning on doing Mechanical. I would like to work for NASA as an Astronaut but I would also be happy designing Space Systems and Propulsion systems. Should I transfer to the Air Force Academy and do the rest of my undergrad there and receive my BS in Astronautical Engineering or should I stay and get my BS in Mechanical and then get a Masters in Astronautical Engineering and work for a NASA lab and try my luck applying as a NASA Civil Servant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    Getting a job at NASA (and many gov't labs) is tough.

Getting into USAFA is tough too. I was on the faculty there, and I don't think they accept transfer students. You need to enter as a Freshman and do four years. It is an excellent education, and will set you up very well for a government engineering career. It may be the best possible path for aspiring astronauts and other gov't careers in aero/astro engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook