Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a matrix

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    Given a vector r = (x, y, z) is possible to make some manipulation for get the matrix:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & z & -y\\ -z & 0 & x\\ y & -x & 0\\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and this matrix too:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} x & 0 & 0\\ 0 & y & 0\\ 0 & 0 & z\\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "manipulation"? You just wrote those matrices down, you now have them to do whatever you want with them. Are you asking whether the map
    [tex] (x,y,z) \mapsto \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & z & -y\\ -z & 0 & x\\ y & -x & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
    is linear or something to that effect?

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    manipulation in the sense of add, subtract, multiply, divide... algebraic/matrix manipulation

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4
    I discovered how make the 1nd transformation!

Let [r] the notation for the first matrix of my post #1, it's is given by: ##[\vec{r}] = \sqrt{\vec{r}\otimes \vec{r}-r^2 I}##

However, I still dont know how get the second matrix...

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A hint:

##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix} =
    \begin{pmatrix} x \end{pmatrix}##

Then, use Kronecker products....

7. Jan 27, 2014 #6
    Give me an example

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook