Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a new watch

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    My family is pooling to get me a watch for my upcoming mid 20s bday, since I've never had one for long time. I've looked around different sites and have absolutely no idea which to get. There is too many choices, and I don't know what the trend is today. So just wondering if anyone here is fashion savvy even a little bit, could push me in the right direction. Like what brand is good, or what kind not to get stuff like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheerios is going to have a GI Joe watch available for 4.95 if you send in a check with three UPC codes

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're not sure, and it's your family buying it for you as a gift, why don't you just let them pick it out and enjoy the surprise? If people are buying an expensive watch, I wouldn't go with trendy, I'd go with something classic that will last you a long time. I'd only get an inexpensive watch if you were going for trendy, since it implies that you're going to have to buy another when it goes out of style.

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4
    The trend today is not to even own a watch and to use your cell phone to tell time. Or, at least that's what the kids tell me.

6. Jul 5, 2009 #5
    I would definitely suggest looking at a http://www.seikousa.com/#WATCH_GALLERY/TECHNOLOGY". They are no Rolex, but for the prices, I believe that they are the next best thing.

I have had one for the last year and my father has had one for a really long time.

No matter what choice you go with, I suggest asking yourself one thing with respect to the brand: How long has this company been making watches.

There are a TON of clothing companies out there slinging absolute crap for watches, but people buy them because they look 'blingy' or they wear the same clothes.

I have http://www.seikousa.com/#WATCH_GALLERY/TECHNOLOGY/PERPETUAL_CALENDAR/MEN/OTHER_WATCHES/SNQ007" one. I love it. It was reasonably priced, it is not too dramatic, and it goes with anything.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Jul 5, 2009 #6
    I hear that Hublot watches are the "in" thing

8. Jul 5, 2009 #7
    I have a P.Guionnet offered by an enemy. I miss him sometimes. I seem unable to realize who among us owes the other an appology.

But for the watch to keep me awake, I am thankful.

9. Jul 5, 2009 #8
    I bought me a TAG similar to http://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-link-cjf2114ba0594.html" [Broken] about 15 years ago. They are classy and very well made. Wear it every day and so far not a single problem, and not even the slightest scratch on the glass. Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jul 5, 2009 #9
    Hublot. Right, well, if that's the direction a person's going to take, then head for Piaget or Patek Philippe or even Rolex (although I think most Rolexes are pretty ugly.) Those are high, high end watches and I doubt (I think) that's what waht's looking for.

Yes, Seiko makes nice watches and so does Citizen. Decent quality, long wearing, (I've had Timex watches work forever, for that matter) and they have all of the current styles. They're worth their price and, from there, it's a question of what your personal style is, waht. Do you want something that has multi-dial functions? Something with a sport appearance to it? Something basic with nice lines? Do you prefer numbers on the face or just marks to indicate the spots where the numbers are? Those are personal decisions about taste for you to make. But both of those watch makers make solid, reliable, nice looking stuff.

If you want something trendy, then pick virtually any current designer name and pick a watch from their collection.

11. Jul 5, 2009 #10

negitron

Science Advisor

If it's anything like my Bulova, it's not glass; it's sapphire.

Edit: It is; I just read the link you posted. Unless you work heavily wrist-deep in diamonds or tungsten carbide, it'll never scratch.

12. Jul 5, 2009 #11
    Thank you, that explains it. :cool:

13. Jul 5, 2009 #12
  14. Jul 5, 2009 #13
    I was being a bit sarcastic about the Hublot :P

On a more serious / affordable note, I'm a fan of Skagen...they have a nice classy yet unique style, in the $100 range. I've gotten enumerable compliments on mine. I can also vouch for the warrantee..after a couple years the pin broke and they immediately sent me a new one at no charge.

15. Jul 5, 2009 #14

negitron

Science Advisor

16. Jul 5, 2009 #15
    I have a black titanium skagen. It's a nice watch.

17. Jul 5, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Get a Luminox Captain's Field watch in brushed stainless, with a black face. Timeless styling, bright tritium markers on face and hands, and accurate as all get-out. Need to operate machinery, chop some wood, or do other stuff that can stress $$$$ all-mechanical watches? No problem. This watch is also great for times when you have to wear multiple layers in the cold, since it it slim and sleeves slip over it well. BTW, if you shop around, you can get it a LOT cheaper than in this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Luminox-Captain-Field-Black-Steel/dp/B001LGCFJ6

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jul 5, 2009 #17
    Ah, sorry. I have trouble with tone of voice on message boards until I'm more familiar with people.

I've not seen Skagen watches before, but they make some very nice looking ones. I'll have to see where they're available around here and look at them in person.

I've owned a nice Citizen watch as an every-day watch for around 16 years. I've had to replace the band twice, I think, and had the battery replaced maybe four times. The crystal is unscratched and it keeps remarkably accurate time.

19. Jul 6, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

My wife has a Citizen, and since she works with her hands, it has seen a pretty tough life. It keeps time very well, and has needed no attention for years. I have replaced the battery in my Luminox and the O-ring seal for the back once. That's it.

20. Jul 6, 2009 #19

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Can anybody comment on the Seiko Kinetic range, or other autoquartzes? The concept's neat, and I'm looking at maybe getting one for myself, as a bit of a higher-end (grad student wise) graduation gift.

21. Jul 6, 2009 #20
    I will summarize the point of my Rolex thread.

A cheap digital watch from wall mart will keep better time than a Rolex, because a rolex is a mechanical watch, which looses time (any mechanical watch will). The el cheapo digital watch looses time, very, very, slowly.

The nice watch is all about fashion and appreciation for the mechanical aspect of the watch. If you think its nice, buy it - but know you're not getting the most accurate watch if its mechanical. I believe the kinetic watches use the kinetic to charge a battery . There are some that use the kinetic action to energize a spring to mechanical gears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook