Get an IP Address: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
In summary: IP address of a mail can be found in the message headers, but it can also easily be faked by the sender. The only way to verify it is by checking the SPF DNS entry, but it's not always foolproof. If using webmail, the process may vary depending on the service being used.
kthouz
How does one get an IP adress from which a mail came from? Is it possible or it just needs some more advenced stuffs?

Computer science news on Phys.org
kthouz said:
How does one get an IP adress from which a mail came from? Is it possible or it just needs some more advenced stuffs?

In Outlook, open the message, select the "View" menu, then select "Options". Look at the Internet Headers.

CS

stewartcs is correct, if the information is going to be anywhere it's going to be in the message headers. But don't depend on this, it's easily spoofed or faked. If an SMTP server accepts an attacker's relay he can tell it the message came from wherever he wants to and there's no way to verify it. (Well, there's something called an SPF DNS entry which is an anti-spam precaution, but it's optional and anyways you'd need access to the records of every mail server in the delivery chain to confirm it 100%.)

i am using internet explorer 7

If you're using webmail, then the answer to your questions depends on what webmail service you're using. Look through the help for whatever service you have, or look for buttons that say things like "Show Details" or "Show Headers" or "Show Original."

- Warren

1. Can I get an IP address for free?

Yes, there are several ways to obtain an IP address for free. One option is to connect to a public Wi-Fi network, which will assign you an IP address. Another option is to use a virtual private network (VPN) service, which can provide you with a different IP address to browse the internet.

2. How do I find my IP address?

To find your IP address, you can simply go to a search engine and type in "What is my IP address?" Your IP address will be displayed at the top of the search results. Alternatively, you can go to your device's network settings to find your IP address.

3. Can I change my IP address?

Yes, it is possible to change your IP address. You can do this by using a VPN service or by resetting your internet connection. Keep in mind that your IP address is usually assigned by your internet service provider (ISP), so you may need to contact them for assistance in changing it.

4. Why would I need to get an IP address?

An IP address is necessary for your device to connect to the internet. It acts as a unique identifier for your device and allows you to communicate with other devices and access websites and online services.

5. Is it safe to get an IP address?

Obtaining an IP address is generally safe, as it is necessary for internet connectivity. However, it is important to protect your IP address from potential hackers and malicious attacks. Using a VPN can help to keep your IP address secure while browsing the internet.