Solving SHM Problem: Stuck Between Textbook & My Attempt

In summary, the textbook says that the block has a mass of 542 grams, and the period of the motion is 2.5 seconds. The maximum acceleration of the block is 0.3 meters per second.
idir93
Hello guys i was trying to solve some problem of simple harmonic motion.
as it is well explaind in the title I'm not getting the same result as my textbook manual solution.

Problem:
A block of unknown mass is attached to a spring with a spring constant of 6:50 N/m and undergoes simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of 10:0 cm. When the block is halfway between its equilibrium position and the end point, its speed is measured to be 30:0 cm/s. Calculate (a) the mass of the block, (b) the period of the motion, and (c) the maximum acceleration of the block.

Textbook solution:
(a) Conserving energy
E =1/2kA² = 32:5 mJ
E =1/2k(A/2)²+12mv2 = E/4+1/2mv²
m =(2/v²)(3/4)E =3E/(2v²) = 542 g

My attempt with SHM equation :
x(t) = Asin(ωt + ∅) and ω=[itex]\sqrt{}(k/m)[/itex]
x(t) = Asin(ωt + ∅)= A/2
sin(ωt + ∅) = 1/2 → ωt + ∅ = ∏/6 → t = (∏/6 - ∅)/ω

We have as well: v(t)=dx/dt= Aωcos(ωt + ∅)
And at x=A/2 → v(t)=0.3 m/s
Substituting t in v(t) we'll have Aωcos(∏/6) = 0.3 → after computation done and substituting the value of A and k i find another number different from 542 g.

Am I wrong? Surely yes, but where? Thanks in advance for helping me :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I take it you are using a colon for a decimal point?
We have as well: v(t)=dx/dt= Aωcos(ωt + ∅)
And at x=A/2 → v(t)=0.3 m/s
Substituting t in v(t) we'll have Aωcos(∏/6) = 0.3 → after computation done and substituting the value of A and k i find another number different from 542 g.
Check your working - looks like you've substituted something wrong or made an algebraic error where you havn't shown your working.

Your final step was from ##v=\omega A\cos(\omega t)##, which gives you $$v=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} A$$... because you found that ##\omega t=\frac{\pi}{6}## and ##\cos(\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

The task is to find m given the rest.

square both sides and solve for m gives:$$m=\frac{3}{4}\frac{kA^2}{v^2}$$

CoE starts out with:
$$\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2 - \frac{1}{2}k\left (\frac{A}{2}\right )^2$$... (do you understand how this equation happens?) cancel the halves and group common terms: $$mv^2=\frac{3}{4}kA^2$$... same equation.

Work through them slowly by hand - step-by-step.

Thanls a lot, it was just a calculation error.

No worries - it can be hard to spot these yourself.
The best way to avoid them (or, at least, pick them up as they happen) is to do all the algebra at the start - when you have the final equation, then you substitute in the values.
You'll start noticing more experienced people doing just that - even when putting the numbers in sooner can make the calculation seem easier.

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM refers to the periodic motion of an object back and forth along a straight line, where the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement from a fixed point and in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. How do I solve a SHM problem?

To solve a SHM problem, you need to identify the given variables, such as the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude. Then, you can use the equations for SHM, such as the displacement equation (x = A*cos(ω*t)) and the period equation (T = 2π/ω), to find the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between angular frequency and frequency in SHM?

Angular frequency (ω) is a measure of the rate at which the object oscillates in SHM, while frequency (f) is a measure of the number of cycles per unit time. They are related by the equation ω = 2πf.

4. How do I know if a problem involves SHM?

A problem typically involves SHM if it involves a restoring force (such as a spring or gravity) and the motion is periodic. Additionally, the acceleration should be directly proportional to the displacement and in the opposite direction.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving SHM problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving SHM problems include using the wrong equation (such as using the velocity equation instead of the displacement equation), forgetting to convert between radians and degrees, and not taking into account the direction of the displacement or acceleration.