1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting from the hazard function to the cumulative and density func and vice versa

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Looking for a step by step online guide/tutorial/worked example showing equations for getting to the hazard function from the density function, the cumulative distribution function from the hazard function, and vice versa

2. Relevant equations

HT(t) = hazard function
    FT(t) = Cumulative distribution function
    fT(t) = Density function

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Distribution function and density function I know but I had to look up "Hazard function".
    According to Wikipedia,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_analysis
    If we have the cumulative distribution function, [/itex]F(t)= Pr(T\le t)[/itex], we define S(t)= 1- T(t). Then the Hazard function, [itex]\lambda(t)[/itex], is given by
    [tex]\lambda = -\frac{S'(t)}{S(t)}[/tex]
    Directly in terms of F, then, since S'(t)= (1- F(t))'= -F'(t),
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{F'(t)}{1- F(t)}[/tex]

If f(t) is the density function, f(t)= F'(t), then
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{f(t)}{1- F(t)} [/tex]

Alternatively, we can define the "cumulative hazard function", [itex]\Lambda(t)= -log(1- F(t))[/itex] and then the hazard function is the derivative: [itex]\lambda(t)= d \Lambda(t)/dt[/itex]
    In any case, finding [itex]\lambda[/itex] involves solving a first order differential equation.

To take a simple example, the uniform distribution from 0 to 1, the density function is a constant, f(x)= 1, so F(x)= [itex]\int_0^t 1 dx= t[/itex] and the hazard function is given by [itex]\lambda(t)= f(t)/(1- F(t))= 1/(1- t)[/itex]. Alternatively, the cumulative hazard function is [itex]\Lamba(t)= -log(F(t))= -log(1-t)[/itex] and the hazard function is the derivative of that: [itex]\lambda(t)= d(-log(1-t))/dt= 1/(1-t)[/itex].

Going the other way, if we were given [itex]\lambda(t)= 1/(1- t)[/itex], then [itex]\lambda(t)= F'/(1- F)= 1/(1- t)[/itex] so finding [itex]\lambda(t)[/itex] requires solving a differential equation: [itex]F'= \lambda(t)(1- F)= (1- F)/(1- t)[/itex]. That's a "separable" differential equation: dF/(1- F)= dt/(1-t) . Integrating, log(1- F(t))= log(1- t)+ C1 so 1- F(t)= C2(1- t). In order that F(0)= 0, we must have C2= 1 so 1- F(t)= 1- t and F(t)= t as before.

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3
    thanks for the link, I am wondering at what stage we use the hazard function, I understand the p.d.f is used for a moment in time, while the c.d.f is used for a time period i.e 0< = T, at what stage do we need the hazard function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?