Getting good/better at physics?

• Thread starter proclamation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is struggling in their high school physics course despite excelling in math. They are seeking tips to improve and are worried about their future career in engineering. Suggestions for improvement include practicing and thinking through each step of a problem, reading different explanations, and seeking guidance from their teacher. A helpful online resource is also recommended.
proclamation
Hey there guys I am not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but anyway here goes..

I'm in high school and i just took the introductory physics course and so far I'm doing pretty bad (high 60%-low 70%s) which i am surprised at because i did/do very well in mathematics last semester and finished with like 94%. People always told me physics is just like math and if you are good at math you should be fine with physics.

Anyway i don't know why I am struggling so much in physics i was wondering if you guys have any tips to improve/get better. I am actually very worried about this because i need to do well in physics to pursue my future career (engineering). More specifically its not the math really in physics that troubles me its always the theory behind the mechanics that does like i don't understand the theory part of the math.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of practice, and make sure you have a think about each step you're taking in a problem - not just repeating because you've seen that "this problem is always solved this way, so this is what i'll do'".

Good ways to learn concepts are to read different explanations of the same thing. Take your class notes: if there are things you don't understand, try to find a textbook that's appropriate to your level - read that, see how you get on. If you're still not great, find another textbook. This is something that will happen often to you at university, a lot of it is about finding the method of explanation/teaching that sits right with you.

I'm not sure what level 'introductory physics' in high school is at, but this link:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/HFrame.html

covers end high school/beginning of university type concepts.

Otherwise, it's always good to check your understanding with your teachers. One way to do this without organising extra classes would be to ask if you could submit some problems for marking - but suggest that you could write explanations for the reasons you think you're performing each operation and using a particular formula. Your teacher should be able to correct you on any selections that might be making your work more difficult than it needs to be.

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics involves practicing and applying the concepts you learn. You can also try to explain the concepts to others or use online resources such as videos or interactive simulations to supplement your learning.

2. Is it possible to get good at physics without being naturally talented in math?

While having a natural aptitude for math can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for being good at physics. With dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills and excel in physics.

3. What are some effective study strategies for physics?

Effective study strategies for physics include staying organized, regularly attending lectures and labs, actively participating in class discussions, and practicing problems regularly. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.

4. How can I prepare for physics exams?

To prepare for physics exams, start by reviewing your notes and textbook, making sure you understand all the key concepts. Practice solving problems and take practice tests to gauge your understanding and identify areas that need more work. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek help from a tutor.

5. How can I stay motivated and interested in physics?

Staying motivated and interested in physics can be challenging, but it can be helpful to find real-world applications of the concepts you are learning, attend lectures and workshops by guest speakers, and participate in hands-on experiments. Additionally, setting specific goals for yourself and rewarding yourself for meeting them can also help keep you motivated.