Efficiently Increase Tank Water Temps to 220F: Expert Tips

• Thread starter Jake Platt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to increase the standing water temperature in a 75 gallon stainless steel tank from 155F to 215F-220F. The options discussed are electrical resistance coil, infrared heat plate, natgas combustion, and electrical induction heating. The expert suggests that induction heating is the most efficient and effective method due to the conductive nature of the tank.
Jake Platt
Hello,

I have a 75 gallon stainless steel tank which has a water intake that delivers 5 gallons per minute of a brine water solution at 205F. There are agricultural commodities that also enter the tank at a constant rate. The commodities are around 60-65F which causes the standing tank water temps to drop to 155F. My goal is to increase the standing water to 215F to 220F (higher boiling temp possible because of brine).

My question is what method is most efficient and effective to do this? Should I use an electrical resistance coil (like a toaster) under the tank or an infrared heat plate under the tank or natgas combustion under the tank? Any other ideas? Maybe electrical induction heating?

Thank you,
Jake Platt

Physics news on Phys.org
Induction heating is the most effective, since you have a conductive tank. Coil heating is terribly inefficient for such a large tank. The shape of the tank will make a big difference with induction heating as well.

1. What is the most efficient way to quickly reach high temperatures in a lab setting?

The most efficient way to quickly reach high temperatures in a lab is by using a high-powered heating source such as a Bunsen burner or a hot plate. These heating sources are designed to quickly and evenly heat up substances.

2. How do I prevent my equipment from overheating while trying to reach high temperatures?

To prevent equipment from overheating, it is important to monitor the temperature closely and adjust the heating source accordingly. You can also use cooling methods such as a water bath or a fan to regulate the temperature and prevent overheating.

3. What safety precautions should I take when working with high temperatures?

When working with high temperatures, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves and goggles, to avoid burns and injuries. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and have a fire extinguisher nearby.

4. Is it possible to reach high temperatures without using a heating source?

Yes, it is possible to reach high temperatures without a heating source by using chemical reactions. For example, mixing certain chemicals can cause an exothermic reaction that produces high temperatures. However, this method may not be as precise or controllable as using a heating source.

5. How long does it typically take to reach high temperatures in a lab setting?

The time it takes to reach high temperatures in a lab can vary depending on the heating source and the substance being heated. However, with a high-powered heating source, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour to reach high temperatures.