Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting high

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1

Gza

Just wondering, what; if any are the drugs of choice of PFers. I have found most of the physics majors at my school to be stoners, I was wondering if that trend was everywhere. I myself smoke mostly on the weekends, or when I watch movies. I also drink pretty heavily on fridays./saturdays. :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    Haven't touched the stuff, worried about health effects. I tend to get highs from my hobbies (including, sometimes, physics). Whatever works for you, though. Just do it in moderation.

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get high on intellectual interaction...and my college days are way in the past !

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    I don't get high.

The Bob (2004 ©)

6. Oct 12, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Frankly, I can't understand how anyone would want to touch any sort of drug with a ten foot pole, and that includes alcohol.

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me either. They're much harder to get at from 10 feet away. :rofl:

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7
    Unless the ten foot pole is a pipe

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8

Gza

Ever been to a party without alcohol or drugs? Pretty boring in my opinion. But then again I am a twenty year old guy going to one of the top party schools.

10. Oct 12, 2004 #9

Gza

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. Oct 12, 2004 #10
    Yeah, drugs are dumb... But I like alcohol so I guess I'm dumb.

12. Oct 12, 2004 #11

Gza

Along with 80% of Americans. :wink:

13. Oct 12, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

coffee, yep, coffee's my drug, no doubt about, coffee is definitely my drug, it wakes me up, it gets me through the day, it help me think, it tastes good, coffee is definitely my drug, it give me so much energy, I don't know how I could get along without it, yep, no doubt about it, coffee is my drug, coffee, yep, coffee's my drug, no doubt about, coffee is definitely my drug, it wakes me up, it gets me through the day, it help me think, it tastes good, coffee is definitely my drug, it give me so much energy, I don't know how I could get along without it, yep, no doubt about it, coffee is my drug. The best part is that it has no negative physical or mental effects.

14. Oct 12, 2004 #13
    LoL

Music is my drug. I guess I have to sing then. *LAAAAAAAAAAALALALALAAA*

15. Oct 12, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's just too much like Rainman !! :eek: Perhaps there's a correlation between caffeine and autism ?

16. Oct 12, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did slip into Rainman didn't I!!!

17. Oct 12, 2004 #16
    ALCOHOL WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO, half the time i'm on here i'm drunk, i'm keeping my Canadian and engineering pride flyin high hehe

a little weed here and there arent bad either

18. Oct 12, 2004 #17
    Notice how this thread consists primarily of one-liners. Maybe that reflects the lack of concentration associated with recreational drugs.

If you feel you have a need for a drug, I suggest you first consult a competent psychiatrist to consider appropriate pharmaceuticals before committing yourself to a substance crutch.

I would guess that the vast majority of those that have taken street drugs mature out of them, become dependent on them to cope with life, or "self-medicate" an underlying mental illness.

19. Oct 12, 2004 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can live without them.

I would love to get high on an intellectual conversation, but that is beyond my reach since most people lack the ability to think.

Because of this, I believe I am at the wrong school and should consider a school that encourages people to think.

20. Oct 12, 2004 #19

plover

Homework Helper

While I also prefer intellectual to chemical stimulation (except maybe if you count chocolate), I always liked this description by ethno-botanist Wade Davis of his experience of some South American rain forest plant he tried (all in the name of science I'm sure :wink: ):
    "It was like being fired out of cannon lined with baroque paintings into a sea of molten electricity."​

21. Oct 12, 2004 #20
    plover,

Maybe you should stick to the chocolate! :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?