Drug Use Among Physics Majors: Trends & Implications

In summary, most of the physics majors I know at my school are smokers, drink alcohol, and occasionally use drugs. Just do it in moderation, and enjoy your hobbies and activities more!
And any who do think it is appropriate should be promptly banned on the basis of promoting illegal and dangerous activities on a site meant for the discussion of physics, no illegal and dangerous activities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Sorry, I have to disagree. It is very inappropriate to be teaching people how to use illegal drugs on this forum.
I believe that you are disagreeing with me for no other reason than to make your point.

The original argument did not argue against teaching people how to use illegal drugs at all. It had to do with requiring that a much broader context be taught, not a lesser context as you seem to prefer.

Something i know about Marijuana is that it is not very addictive, i'v been smoking for 5 years, and i quit on the first day of October,its been 18 days and I'm fine with it, i don't feel the need for it at all.

Prometheus said:
I believe that you are disagreeing with me for no other reason than to make your point.

The original argument did not argue against teaching people how to use illegal drugs at all. It had to do with requiring that a much broader context be taught, not a lesser context as you seem to prefer.
Good point. I did misread your post.

I will, however, stand by what I said. Instruction in the illegal use of drugs in any form is inappropriate here.

Discussions about drugs in general should include the information Gokul described. I don't think it would be impossible to discuss them.

Evo said:
I will, however, stand by what I said. Instruction in the illegal use of drugs in any form is inappropriate here.
I believe that you and others have made this point.

Discussions about drugs in general should include the information Gokul described.
I could not disagree more.

Prometheus said:
Evo said:
Discussions about drugs in general should include the information Gokul described

Prometheus said:
I could not disagree more.
Really? Why do you disagree that people should know the potential harm from drugs? When is making an uneducated decision a good thing?

Evo said:
Really? Why do you disagree that people should know the potential harm from drugs? When is making an uneducated decision a good thing?
Once again I believe that you are greatly misrepresenting my position. Look at the original words:

Gokul43201 said:
If discussing specific methods and techniques, it would be inappropriate, unless all the backgound information including the pros and cons of short and long-term neurological/physiological effects of the specific method described are also provided.
I contend that there is an extreme distance between this position, that ALL possible background information be made available in order to be entitled to broach the subject from any perspective, a completely unrealistic demand that could never possibly be satisfied under any practical conditions for anything, and your misinterpretation that my disagreement with this ridiculous impossibiity therefore means that I must be proponing that people are better off unaware of the potential harm from any experience or that I believe that uneducated decisions are ever desirable.

Don't you see that disagreement with the one in no way comes close to implying its opposite, as you seem to suspect?

I agree that demanding ALL possible information is unrealistic. I would have been happy with a simple warning and a link to an information resource.

What PF considers appropriate is a different matter.

Last edited:
Prometheus said:
I contend that there is an extreme distance between this position, that ALL possible background information be made available in order to be entitled to broach the subject from any perspective, a completely unrealistic demand that could never possibly be satisfied under any practical conditions for anything, and your misinterpretation that my disagreement with this ridiculous impossibiity therefore means that I must be proponing that people are better off unaware of the potential harm from any experience or that I believe that uneducated decisions are ever desirable.

Don't you see that disagreement with the one in no way comes close to implying its opposite, as you seem to suspect?
Your taking the "all" in Gokul's post literally is a bit silly. :rolleyes: I think most people were able to understand the gist of his post. You did too, you are just being argumentative for the sake of arguing and it's not really serving any purpose.

Evo said:
Your taking the "all" in Gokul's post literally is a bit silly. :rolleyes: I think most people were able to understand the gist of his post. You did too, you are just being argumentative for the sake of arguing and it's not really serving any purpose.
Now, you are being ridiculous. Your defense of your error is what is silly. You made an error, and now you are blaming me for your error. How dare you tell me that I should understand that someone did not mean what he clearly said? How dare you tell me that I am just arguing for the sake of arguing, when it is you who are guilty of this very thing.

He said what he said, and he meant what he meant. I claimed that it is ridiculous. If you thought that it was obvious, you could have said so earlier, rather than support a ridiculous contention and tell me what you know that I really think.

I understand your interest in this topic, I suppose. To defend it with hyperbole, and to attack me for not appreciating the ridiculous nature of it, is quite inappropriate. Think of the example that you are setting for all of the young minds out there who look to you for how to respond when you discover that YOU misunderstood another person's post.

Evo said:
Instruction in the illegal use of drugs in any form is inappropriate here.

Fair enough, but I think you're missing the bigger picture here. Had I not told the person about vaporisers, he would still use cannabis (probably in the form of a marijuana cigarette/joint). Therefore I am reducing the damage he will be potentially doing to himself, and this can only be a good thing.

I'm promoting harm-reduction, not drug use.

Prometheus said:
Now, you are being ridiculous. Your defense of your error is what is silly. You made an error, and now you are blaming me for your error. How dare you tell me that I should understand that someone did not mean what he clearly said? How dare you tell me that I am just arguing for the sake of arguing, when it is you who are guilty of this very thing.

He said what he said, and he meant what he meant. I claimed that it is ridiculous. If you thought that it was obvious, you could have said so earlier, rather than support a ridiculous contention and tell me what you know that I really think.

I understand your interest in this topic, I suppose. To defend it with hyperbole, and to attack me for not appreciating the ridiculous nature of it, is quite inappropriate. Think of the example that you are setting for all of the young minds out there who look to you for how to respond when you discover that YOU misunderstood another person's post.
What on Earth are you talking about? You went on a pointless rant.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Fair enough, but I think you're missing the bigger picture here. Had I not told the person about vaporisers, he would still use cannabis (probably in the form of a marijuana cigarette/joint). Therefore I am reducing the damage he will be potentially doing to himself, and this can only be a good thing.

I'm promoting harm-reduction, not drug use.
Surely you don't expect me to buy this.

You think I want others to do drugs so that I'm not the only one that gets ****ed up?!

If so, you're wrong.

Prometheus said:
Once again I believe that you are greatly misrepresenting my position. Look at the original words:
You are the one mistaken, here are the posts.

Evo said:
(post #75)
Discussions about drugs in general should include the information Gokul described.
Prometheus said:
(post #75)I could not disagree more.
Evo said:
(post #76)

I'm not misrepresenting your position. When I said "Discussions about drugs in general should include the information Gokul described." You answered "I could not disagree more."

I asked you why you disagreed and you never answered my question.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
You think I want others to do drugs so that I'm not the only one that gets ****ed up?!

If so, you're wrong.
No, I think you like to discuss doing drugs.

Evo said:
No, I think you like to discuss doing drugs.

Are you hot in real life?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Are you hot in real life?
No. I'm pretty chilly.

I like the direction this thread is headed... <rubs hands together>

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
This allows you to smoke weed without having to inhale any smoke. The high is subjectively different, as the ratio of other cannabinoids to THC is altered (this prevents me from having to use heroin, benzos or GHB to reduce paranoia, as I don't get that when using this smoking technique).

Wow, thanks, I had no idea about this. I don't smoke much lately, but my lungs would be very thankful for this a couple of years ago. :biggrin:

pig said:
Wow, thanks, I had no idea about this. I don't smoke much lately, but my lungs would be very thankful for this a couple of years ago. :biggrin:

THERE YOU GO!

Hey everyone, I haven't used drugs for three days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Hey everyone, I haven't used drugs for three days!

really? could have fooled me...your intelligence factor seems to have been wasted away alongside your brain cells from your drug use :smile:

Last edited:
Kerrie said:
really? could have fooled me...your intelligence factor seems to have been wasted away alongside your brain cells from your drug use :smile:

Based on maybe one or two posts, you have conluded that I am an idiot.

You're not a very nice person. ***** :)

Last edited:
Evo said:
What on Earth are you talking about? You went on a pointless rant.
If you are only going to blather, pelase do not respond to my post.

Evo said:
I asked you why you disagreed and you never answered my question.
Did you not notice my post number 77?

Kerrie said:
Wow. What a powerfully phrased attack that is so well phrased.

Everyone can see the brilliance behind your point, except perhaps for the others of us on this forum.

This was a very cheap shot, completely uncalled for, unjustified, and unsupportable. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

i don't appreciate members of this forum sharing how to use an illegal substance when we have young people-including my kids one day when they are old enough to participate-reading crap like this. i am sure there are a million other websites that will tell you how to smoke crack, but PF is not the place. my "cheap shot" was definitely needed in this instance.

Prometheus said:
Did you not notice my post number 77?
Yes, that's the post I was responding to.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
THERE YOU GO!
That's been around for ages. No different from using pie tins and bicyle spokes for opium and hash.

Real healthy. :rolleyes:

Sorry, PF is not the place for teaching people how to do drugs.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's been around for ages. No different from using pie tins and bicyle spokes for opium and hash.
I had not heard about pie tins or bicycle spokes. Can you provide more information. Wait ...

As there are some people on this thread who would not like you to bring up such a topic, would you please refrain from doing so again? Aren't you aware that some people have asked you not to post such things?