Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting images out of PDF files?

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    I'm doing a presentation for coursework, and would like to include some figures which are in other papers (on my computer in PDF format). What is the best way to get one of these images and include it in my document (latex)? I can just select it and copy/paste to an image file, but is there a way to extract an image as a pdf file?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can request a fixed resolution (say 300dpi) for copy/paste in Acrobat Reader.

If you google: pdf image extract (or maybe) pdf image export
    you will probably find a lot of software.

Do you have Acrobat [not merely the Reader]?

Do you have a preference?
    Windows? MacOSX? linux?
    GUI? command-line or script?
    open-source? freeware? shareware?

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3

Mk

If you're on a PC, you can use the Print Screen button, or if you're on a Mac press shift-apple-four. On a PC you'll have to open Paint and press control-V to paste the image, and on mac you'll click and drag the crosshair to select the region you want to take a screenshot of. It will save to the desktop when you let go. Take that image and insert it to whatever program you're using, and then export your finished document as PDF. If you want the picture to be higher resolution or less, just zoom in or out in your PDF viewer.

Acrobat Professional, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator will also let you open up the PDF and crop around it, or be able to copy or individually drag it out.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  5. Apr 1, 2008 #4
    Do they actually have a PDF writer? I mean a program that lets you write exactly in PDF format, as if it was say something like word, and then export it? Or does Word do that. Don't ask me I don't have word, I lost it when I had to format my hard drive and the shop never gave me the CD when I bought the computer. :frown:

6. Apr 1, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If I use Acrobat Reader, I magnify the page (200x, 400x, or 800x), use the graphics selector tool, which I click and drag (select) around the image, then I paste it directly into Word or Photoshop Elements if additional processing is necessary. Some folks put low res images in their pdf files, which is usually a low res scan.

7. Apr 1, 2008 #6
    That's what I always do. It always works and for all applications.

8. Apr 1, 2008 #7

Astronuc

The full package of Adobe Acrobat has a converter which converts MS Word (doc) files to pdf files.

9. Apr 1, 2008 #8

Mk

That's good, I forgot about that.

10. Apr 1, 2008 #9
    Ah ok. Thanks.

11. Apr 1, 2008 #10

Evo

Yes Adobe Acrobat has an authoring tool which lets you create and change PDF's including pictures and graphics. It's not cheap.

12. Apr 1, 2008 #11
    Well I suppose they have to make their money somewhere. That said there are plenty of cheaper alternatives I suppose. I don't actually write a lot of material of interest to the general public atm, so it's really more just curiosity.

Adobe should incorporate a latex add on in it's writers I think. Much like we and others do. At a price of course. :smile:

13. Apr 1, 2008 #12
    I hate .pdf. It should be banished to the depths of computer hell.

14. Apr 1, 2008 #13
    I agree they are hard to manipulate, hard to get latex off, and annoying to actually read. I wish they would produce a format where you could do anything with text, without having to copy and paste images and fart around. I had to myself type out an integral recently show how it was done in the latex, then reintroduce it to a format the person I was talking to might understand; that is just not a format you really want to deal with. Still balls in your court a format that actually isn't a pain in the arse to deal with? If only I had the programming skill, you're talking about something that would make you a millionaire. :smile:

Please send me the an acknowledgement when you come up with it. Seems obvious. :wink::smile:

15. Apr 1, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think that would be worth their effort. You just use a text editor to write your latex document and then pdflatex it in the command line, or you just use one of the many latex editors out there that also pdf your document for you.

The pdf document is just the final copy though. If you want a copy of a file that can be manipulated, then you just get the tex file.

The only time I've had to type maths to someone is via email. Then, I tend to use pseudo-latex (with obvious unnecessary bits missed out) or, failing that, just attached a pdf file!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  16. Apr 1, 2008 #15

dst

What does everyone actually use? I get the impression that most on here use Latex for word proccessing, that seems pretty long.

Oh, easy way would be to zoom in 100% and just hit print-screen and paste it into a paint program.

17. Apr 1, 2008 #16
    True, but it would be easier if you could just type it in, and not have to worry about making it work in PDF. I think the format is pretty horrible myself, that said I'm probably alone. :smile: It's the same with everything else, I just hate how difficult it is to manipulate PDFs. They're just a a huge pain in the arse as a format. I don't like it. I can see why it's the standard, but it's a horribly inefficient standard, needs work.

18. Apr 1, 2008 #17
    Heh, I'm try to learn C++ (not very much effort into it though..)

19. Apr 1, 2008 #18

russ_watters

I'm not actually clear on the OP's question, but....

To go from pdf to something else, you can use Photoshop (in addition to methods already mentioned.

To go from anything to pdf, you can get one of the many pdf print drivers such as pdf995 (which is free).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?