Getting images out of PDF files?

In summary, the best way to get a PDF image of a figure from your computer and include it in your presentation is to use the Print Screen button or drag and drop the image into a program like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator.
NeoDevin
I'm doing a presentation for coursework, and would like to include some figures which are in other papers (on my computer in PDF format). What is the best way to get one of these images and include it in my document (latex)? I can just select it and copy/paste to an image file, but is there a way to extract an image as a pdf file?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can request a fixed resolution (say 300dpi) for copy/paste in Acrobat Reader.

If you google: pdf image extract (or maybe) pdf image export
you will probably find a lot of software.

Do you have Acrobat [not merely the Reader]?

Do you have a preference?
Windows? MacOSX? linux?
GUI? command-line or script?
open-source? freeware? shareware?

If you're on a PC, you can use the Print Screen button, or if you're on a Mac press shift-apple-four. On a PC you'll have to open Paint and press control-V to paste the image, and on mac you'll click and drag the crosshair to select the region you want to take a screenshot of. It will save to the desktop when you let go. Take that image and insert it to whatever program you're using, and then export your finished document as PDF. If you want the picture to be higher resolution or less, just zoom in or out in your PDF viewer.

Acrobat Professional, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator will also let you open up the PDF and crop around it, or be able to copy or individually drag it out.

Last edited:
Do they actually have a PDF writer? I mean a program that let's you write exactly in PDF format, as if it was say something like word, and then export it? Or does Word do that. Don't ask me I don't have word, I lost it when I had to format my hard drive and the shop never gave me the CD when I bought the computer. :frown:

If I use Acrobat Reader, I magnify the page (200x, 400x, or 800x), use the graphics selector tool, which I click and drag (select) around the image, then I paste it directly into Word or Photoshop Elements if additional processing is necessary. Some folks put low res images in their pdf files, which is usually a low res scan.

Mk said:
If you're on a PC, you can use the Print Screen button, or if you're on a Mac press shift-apple-four. On a PC you'll have to open Paint and press control-V to paste the image, and on mac you'll click and drag the crosshair to select the region you want to take a screenshot of. It will save to the desktop when you let go. Take that image and insert it to whatever program you're using, and then export your finished document as PDF. If you want the picture to be higher resolution or less, just zoom in or out in your PDF viewer.

That's what I always do. It always works and for all applications.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Do they actually have a PDF writer? I mean a program that let's you write exactly in PDF format, as if it was say something like word, and then export it? Or does Word do that. Don't ask me I don't have word, I lost it when I had to format my hard drive and the shop never gave me the CD when I bought the computer. :frown:
The full package of Adobe Acrobat has a converter which converts MS Word (doc) files to pdf files.

Astronuc said:
use the graphics selector tool, which I click and drag (select) around the image, then I paste it directly into Word or Photoshop Elements if additional processing is necessary.
That's good, I forgot about that.

Astronuc said:
The full package of Adobe Acrobat has a converter which converts MS Word (doc) files to pdf files.

Ah ok. Thanks.

Yes Adobe Acrobat has an authoring tool which let's you create and change PDF's including pictures and graphics. It's not cheap.

Evo said:
Yes Adobe Acrobat has an authoring tool which let's you create and change PDF's including pictures and graphics. It's not cheap.

Well I suppose they have to make their money somewhere. That said there are plenty of cheaper alternatives I suppose. I don't actually write a lot of material of interest to the general public atm, so it's really more just curiosity.

Adobe should incorporate a latex add on in it's writers I think. Much like we and others do. At a price of course. :smile:

I hate .pdf. It should be banished to the depths of computer hell.

binzing said:
I hate .pdf. It should be banished to the depths of computer hell.

I agree they are hard to manipulate, hard to get latex off, and annoying to actually read. I wish they would produce a format where you could do anything with text, without having to copy and paste images and fart around. I had to myself type out an integral recently show how it was done in the latex, then reintroduce it to a format the person I was talking to might understand; that is just not a format you really want to deal with. Still balls in your court a format that actually isn't a pain in the arse to deal with? If only I had the programming skill, you're talking about something that would make you a millionaire. :smile:

Please send me the an acknowledgment when you come up with it. Seems obvious. :wink::smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Adobe should incorporate a latex add on in it's writers I think. Much like we and others do. At a price of course. :smile:
I don't think that would be worth their effort. You just use a text editor to write your latex document and then pdflatex it in the command line, or you just use one of the many latex editors out there that also pdf your document for you.

I agree they are hard to manipulate, hard to get latex off, and annoying to actually read.
The pdf document is just the final copy though. If you want a copy of a file that can be manipulated, then you just get the tex file.

I had to myself type out an integral recently show how it was done in the latex, then reintroduce it to a format the person I was talking to might understand, that is just not a format you really want to deal with.
The only time I've had to type maths to someone is via email. Then, I tend to use pseudo-latex (with obvious unnecessary bits missed out) or, failing that, just attached a pdf file!

Last edited:
What does everyone actually use? I get the impression that most on here use Latex for word processing, that seems pretty long.

Oh, easy way would be to zoom in 100% and just hit print-screen and paste it into a paint program.

cristo said:
I don't think that would be worth their effort. You just use a text editor to write your latex document and then pdflatex it in the command line, or you just use one of the many latex editors out there that also pdf your document for you.

True, but it would be easier if you could just type it in, and not have to worry about making it work in PDF. I think the format is pretty horrible myself, that said I'm probably alone. :smile: It's the same with everything else, I just hate how difficult it is to manipulate PDFs. They're just a a huge pain in the arse as a format. I don't like it. I can see why it's the standard, but it's a horribly inefficient standard, needs work.

Heh, I'm try to learn C++ (not very much effort into it though..)

I'm not actually clear on the OP's question, but...

To go from pdf to something else, you can use Photoshop (in addition to methods already mentioned.

To go from anything to pdf, you can get one of the many pdf print drivers such as pdf995 (which is free).

1. How can I extract images from a PDF file?

There are several ways to extract images from a PDF file. One way is to use a PDF editing software, such as Adobe Acrobat, which allows you to select and save images from a PDF. Another way is to use an online PDF to image converter, where you can upload your PDF and download the extracted images. Some image editing software, like Photoshop, also have the ability to open and save images from a PDF.

2. Can I extract all images at once from a PDF file?

Yes, it is possible to extract all images at once from a PDF file. This can be done using a PDF editing software or online converter that has a batch extraction feature. Keep in mind that this may take some time depending on the size and complexity of the PDF file.

3. What file format will the extracted images be in?

The file format of the extracted images will depend on the method used to extract them. If using a PDF editing software, you can usually choose the file format for the extracted images. Online converters may also give you the option to select the file format. If using an image editing software, the extracted images will likely be in the same format as the original images in the PDF.

4. Can I extract images from a password-protected PDF?

It is possible to extract images from a password-protected PDF, but you will need the password to open the file. If you do not have the password, you will not be able to extract the images. This is a security measure to protect the content of the PDF.

5. Is it legal to extract images from a PDF file?

It depends on the source and intended use of the images. If the PDF file is protected by copyright and you do not have permission from the owner to use the images, then extracting and using them may be considered copyright infringement. It is always best to check the usage rights or obtain permission before using any images extracted from a PDF file.