Calculating Surface Area of Mathematically Similar Frustums: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to calculate the surface area of a larger frustum given the surface area of a smaller frustum. The frustums are mathematically similar and have heights of 20cm and 30cm. The surface area formula for a frustum is provided, but it is not necessary for this problem. The key is to recognize that since the frustums are similar, all lengths in the larger one are 3/2 times the corresponding lengths in the smaller one. Since area is proportionate to the square of a length, the surface area of the larger frustum will be (3/2)^2 = 9/4 times the surface area of the smaller frustum. Therefore, the surface area
Trail_Builder
hi, soz, this is way below my level but i havnt done these in age and are tired and getting in a muddle. thnx for clarifying things...

Homework Statement

Two mathematically similar frustums have heights of 20cm and 30cm

The surface area of the smaller frustum is 450cm^2

qu) calculate the surface area of the larger frustum

Homework Equations

surface area of a frustum = 2pi x dia. x (square root)[h^2 + d^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

right, i am being a moron i know, but i forget where the dimensional adjustment to

20/450 = 30/ans

is amplied. I was thinking of something like:

20/450^2 = 30/ans^2

but then i tried using my own example of stuff like cubes and swaures and stuff and it didnt work.

then i tried

20^2/450 = 30^2/ans

but then using my own dimensional examples it didnt work.

i also tried using the surface area formula for frustums, but that didnt work either.

i know i am being a dumbhead, but hey, i guess its got i havn't answered these qus in years lol. and it called a frustum for a reason ;)

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Trail_Builder said:
hi, soz, this is way below my level but i havnt done these in age and are tired and getting in a muddle. thnx for clarifying things...

Homework Statement

Two mathematically similar frustums have heights of 20cm and 30cm

The surface area of the smaller frustum is 450cm^2

qu) calculate the surface area of the larger frustum

Homework Equations

surface area of a frustum = 2pi x dia. x (square root)[h^2 + d^2]
Irrelevant! You are told that these figures are "mathematically similar" which means that they have the same "shap": all lengths in the large one are 30/20= 3/2 the corresponding small one. Since the "area" of anything depends upon multiplying two lengths together, area always is proportion to the square of a length. If in going from the smaller to the larger, all lengths are multiplied by 3/2, what is the area multiplied by?

The Attempt at a Solution

right, i am being a moron i know, but i forget where the dimensional adjustment to

20/450 = 30/ans

is amplied. I was thinking of something like:

20/450^2 = 30/ans^2

but then i tried using my own example of stuff like cubes and swaures and stuff and it didnt work.

then i tried

20^2/450 = 30^2/ans

but then using my own dimensional examples it didnt work.

i also tried using the surface area formula for frustums, but that didnt work either.

i know i am being a dumbhead, but hey, i guess its got i havn't answered these qus in years lol. and it called a frustum for a reason ;)

thnx

would it be 9/4?

1. What is the definition of a frustum?

A frustum is a geometric shape that is formed by slicing the top off of a cone or pyramid at a parallel angle to its base.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a mathematically similar frustum?

To calculate the surface area of a mathematically similar frustum, you will need to know the radius and height of both the top and bottom bases. Then, you can use the formula: SA = π(r1 + r2)√(h1-h2)^2 + (r1-r2)^2), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the top and bottom bases, and h1 and h2 are the heights of the top and bottom bases.

3. Are there any other methods to calculate the surface area of a frustum?

Yes, there are other methods to calculate the surface area of a frustum, such as using the slant height and lateral surface area formulas. However, the method mentioned in question 2 is the most commonly used and easiest to understand for beginners.

4. Why is it important to know how to calculate the surface area of a frustum?

Calculating the surface area of a frustum is important in real-life applications, such as in construction and architecture, where frustum-shaped structures are commonly used. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and can help develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of calculating the surface area of a frustum?

One example of a real-life application of calculating the surface area of a frustum is in the design and construction of grain silos. The frustum shape allows for maximum storage capacity while still being structurally sound. Knowing the surface area of the frustum can help determine the amount of material needed for construction and ensure the safety of the structure.