Solving Geodesic Equations for ##\phi(r)##

• Thread starter davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, there are several possible reasons for Mathematica not giving a solution when trying to solve the equations for ##\phi (r)## as a function of ##r## using the Schwarzschild metric. It could be due to the non-linearity of the equations, errors in the code or equations, or the limitations of the vacuum solution. Seeking help and trying different approaches may lead to a solution or new discoveries.
davidge
The system of DE

IuoMXrx.png

arises when using the Schwarzschild metric of General Relativity on the geodesics equation. I was trying to solve these equations for ##\phi## as a function of ##r##. I followed Weinberg (Weinberg's book S&G relativity) who uses ##t' = 1 / B(r)## in his book. So now we have two equations and two unkowns. I tried to solve it for ##\phi (r)## as I said above but Mathematica keeps running indefinitely and gives no solution. I was hoping to get the same result as Weinberg does in his book. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, let me commend you for delving into the complex and fascinating world of General Relativity. Solving the equations for ##\phi## as a function of ##r## can be a challenging task, especially when using the Schwarzschild metric.

One possible reason for Mathematica running indefinitely and not giving a solution could be that the equations you are trying to solve are non-linear and cannot be easily solved analytically. In such cases, numerical methods may be necessary to obtain a solution.

Another possibility is that there may be an error in your code or in the equations themselves. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure all the equations and variables are correctly entered.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that the Schwarzschild metric is a solution to the Einstein field equations in vacuum, meaning that it does not take into account the presence of matter or energy. This may also affect the results you are obtaining.

I would suggest consulting with a colleague or seeking help from a mentor or expert in the field to review your work and offer guidance. It may also be helpful to try different methods or approaches to solving the equations.

In any case, do not be discouraged if you are not getting the same result as Weinberg does in his book. General Relativity is a complex and ever-evolving theory, and there may be multiple valid solutions to the equations. Keep exploring and learning, and you may uncover new insights and discoveries.

What is the purpose of solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)##?

The purpose of solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)## is to determine the path of a geodesic curve on a given surface. This is important in understanding the curvature and geometry of the surface, as well as predicting the behavior of objects moving along the geodesic path.

What are geodesic equations and how are they related to solving for ##\phi(r)##?

Geodesic equations are mathematical equations that describe the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. Solving for ##\phi(r)## involves using these equations to determine the shape of the geodesic curve on the surface.

What factors influence the solution for ##\phi(r)## in geodesic equations?

The solution for ##\phi(r)## in geodesic equations is influenced by the curvature of the surface, the initial conditions of the geodesic curve, and any external forces acting on the object moving along the curve.

How is solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)## useful in real-world applications?

Solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)## has many practical applications, such as in navigation and mapping, robotics, and physics. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects moving on curved surfaces, which is essential in many fields.

What are some common methods for solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)##?

Some common methods for solving geodesic equations for ##\phi(r)## include using differential geometry, variational methods, and numerical simulations. Each method has its advantages and is suited for different types of surfaces and geodesic curves.