1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into a top graduate program in Mathematics/Physics

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm an international student and I'm looking to apply to a few colleges in the USA. However, due to the random nature of the admissions process, I may or may not get in. Experience has taught me that I have to think of a rough course of action in case things don't go as I would like them to. Henceforth, in the even that I am *not* accepted anywhere in the US, I will, hopefully, be in the Mathematics (definitely for physics - it's very under-subscribed) course of my local university.

The degree is a three-year BSc course, not much unlike those in the UK. Even the grading system is similar. While do have something similar to the GPA. called a CPA (Cumulative Point Average), degrees are awarded as either being first (>70%), upper second, lower second or third class. At any rate, is the admissions criteria going to be the same as for US students?

I don't care about rankings. I do, however, think I would care about being part of an excellent research group if I want to pursue a PhD by the end of my second year. If it so happens that I'm interested in any given subfield of mathematics or physics, I would like to know if it's even theoretically possible for a student, from a no-name university somewhere near Africa, to get into *the* graduate program with that specific research group that's at the top of the field, so to speak - whether it's the Podunk Institute of Mathematical Sciences or Harvard.

Are excellent scores (degree + GRE), statement of intent and letters of recommendation enough?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted