Getting into grad school for CS/CE PhD

In summary, undergraduate research experience is highly valued by CS/CE PhD programs as it demonstrates passion and aptitude for research and can lead to strong letters of recommendation. While a high GPA is beneficial, it is not the only determining factor for admission. GRE scores are important but not the only factor, and a specific undergraduate degree is not always necessary. Letters of recommendation are crucial and should come from individuals who know the applicant well and can speak to their research abilities and potential for success in a PhD program.
bphysics
I've been reading the depressing forums over at "thegradcafe.com" and am beginning to wonder if I can get into any graduate school. From the sound of things over there, it is as if I should have published 10 papers and have a statue in gold at my undergrad university in order to be able to get into any PhD program for Computer Science or Computer Engineering.

In all seriousness though, I'm looking for some feedback regarding my current application profile and what I can do (if anything) between now and when I apply for graduate school next Fall.

Current Stats:
  • University: Large State School in CA
  • Major: Computer Engineering
  • Cumulative GPA: ~3.65
  • Major GPA: 4.00
  • Cumulative GPA for last year: 4.00

Research Work:
REU at UIUC
Worked with a Professor for 10 weeks on a REU project involving synchronization of systems. No publication resulted, although the Professor has told me he liked my work and believes I am fit for graduate school. Unfortunately, he is disappointed that I did not continue my research once I left for the summer.

Software Engineer in Research and Development at Cisco Systems
Worked on an industry research project which focused on enabling code written for a single processor system to take advantage of multiple processors. I have submitted my own, first-author paper to an IEEE conference regarding a portion of my work on this project and will be listed as an author on the larger paper. I have no idea whether this paper will be accepted.

However, according to the posts I've read, it seems as if the recommendation from my manager here will not matter, as it is an industry position and is "filler". Can anyone comment on this? Why would a recommendation from someone involved in industry research not matter in the admissions process?

Recommendation Sources
Other then the two recommendations which will likely result from my previous research work, I'm well known within my university's Computer Engineering department and have a few Professors who could write me positive letters of recommendation which go beyond simply mentioning my grades. I worked with one of them on a project for 6 months which may result in a patent in the future, so he may serve as my third recommendation.

So, all of that said, how are things looking? Can anyone comment regarding my choice to take an industry research position last summer (I could have done another REU, but there was confusion regarding what exactly I would be working on at the REU...). I will likely be applying again to REU programs this year for next summer, so I may have one last chance at getting some additional research experience.

Thanks for any feedback

Physics news on Phys.org
!It sounds like you have a good foundation for applying to graduate school. The recommendation from your manager at Cisco should not be discounted, as it will still provide valuable insight into your skills and capabilities. Your other research experiences should also be taken into consideration, as they demonstrate your interest in the field and your ability to pursue research projects independently. Additionally, having professors who can provide positive letters of recommendation that go beyond simply mentioning your grades is also beneficial. Overall, if you are able to continue to build upon your research experiences and secure additional recommendations, your chances of getting into a graduate program should be good. Good luck!

1. How important is undergraduate research experience for getting into a CS/CE PhD program?

Undergraduate research experience is highly valued by CS/CE PhD programs. It demonstrates your passion and aptitude for research, and gives you the opportunity to work closely with faculty members who can write strong letters of recommendation for you. However, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider.

2. What kind of GPA is typically expected for admission to a CS/CE PhD program?

While a high GPA is certainly beneficial, it is not the only determining factor for admission to a CS/CE PhD program. Many top programs look for a GPA of at least 3.5, but some may consider applicants with a lower GPA if they have strong research experience and other qualifications such as a high GRE score and strong letters of recommendation.

3. How important are GRE scores for admission to a CS/CE PhD program?

GRE scores are important, but not the only factor for admission to a CS/CE PhD program. Many top programs have a minimum GRE score requirement, but they also consider other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and undergraduate coursework. A strong GRE score can help strengthen your application, but a lower score does not necessarily disqualify you.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in computer science or engineering to get into a CS/CE PhD program?

While a degree in computer science or engineering can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary for admission to a CS/CE PhD program. Many programs welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in computer science and/or engineering and can demonstrate their potential for success in a research-based program.

5. How important are letters of recommendation for admission to a CS/CE PhD program?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of your application for a CS/CE PhD program. They provide insight into your academic and research abilities, as well as your potential for success in a PhD program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and potential as a researcher.