Do Grad Schools Care About Dropped Undergrad Classes in Engineering?

In summary, if your undergraduate course work was good and you have research or work experience to back it up, it is unlikely that dropping one class will matter.
theman408
Do Engineering graduate admission officers look if the student has a couple dropped classes during undergraduate course work?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's on your transcript, expect them to look at it.

Yea, but is it going to be a factor if it's just a couple?

By a couple, do you mean two? Or more than two? Did you withdraw before or after they showed a pass/fail grade? Did you have a lot of other credits in those terms that you dropped because you were overloaded, or did you drop just because you weren't doing well in the course? Were they courses for your major, or elective courses? Are your other grades exemplary, or were you dropping them in the same term you were just barely passing other courses by the skin of your teeth? These things will all factor into whether it will matter to them, or how much.

In my case, in 1.5 years i went into engineering school, i never dropped or failed a class but after those 1.5 years i transferred to another engineering school where my first semester was horrific as i tried to get used to living alone and doing almost everything, i got a couple of C's and a D in my Electrical Circuit Analysis I Class which I am repeating right now in summer classes and so far so good for me. I had a 3.64 GPA before starting that semester and after it lowered to 3.30ish

If that was a hiccup and the rest of my undergraduate work is pretty good as i mix in research(already have one undergrad research) and work experience, could they just view past it?

From what I've heard, graduate admissions offices prefer it if you start poorly and finish strongly than any other way involving poorly. Since you switched schools that probably counts, but make sure to mention somewhere on your application (in a personal statement or whatever) what happened

I talked to a former graduate office director from my school and he told me they don't even look at that the class performance, if you finished with a strong GPA and have research work then there is no reason to deny.

But then again, this is only one graduate officer from a school, doesn't speak for the rest and I am not going to do my masters at this school since they don't really have the graduate program I am looking for.

Office_Shredder said:
Since you switched schools that probably counts, but make sure to mention somewhere on your application (in a personal statement or whatever) what happened

While some may agree with giving a full outright confession on your personal statement about any shortcomings with a graduate application, I think the words should be better spent on other things. To the OP...depending on how long from the school switch to when you finish your undergraduate degree, I doubt your situation will have mattered that much overall.

If you only hiccuped once and then finish strong you should be fine. Your GPA is still above 3.0 so that says something. Just try to finish with 3.5+ and you'll have no problems.

THanks guys for the advise, was kinda feeling unmotivated when thinking grad school before the answers.

1. What are the basic requirements for getting into grad school?

The basic requirements for getting into grad school vary depending on the program and institution, but generally include a bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and a personal statement or essay. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a portfolio of work.

2. When should I start preparing for grad school?

It is never too early to start preparing for grad school. It is recommended to start researching programs and their requirements at least a year before you plan to apply. This will give you enough time to study for any required tests, gather letters of recommendation, and prepare your application materials.

3. How important are standardized test scores for grad school admissions?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are just one aspect of your grad school application. While they are important, they are not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also taken into account. Some programs may place more emphasis on test scores than others, so it is important to research the requirements of the specific programs you are interested in.

4. How can I make my application stand out?

There are a few ways to make your application stand out. First, make sure all of your materials are well-written, error-free, and tailored to the specific program you are applying to. Second, highlight any relevant experience or achievements, such as research projects, internships, or publications. Third, reach out to faculty or current students in the program to learn more about their research and how you can contribute to it.

5. Can I apply to multiple grad school programs?

Yes, you can apply to multiple grad school programs. In fact, it is recommended to apply to several programs to increase your chances of acceptance. However, keep in mind that each program may have different requirements and application deadlines, so make sure to plan and manage your time effectively.