• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Getting into grad school.

• Schools
  • Thread starter dww
  • Start date
dww

Main Question or Discussion Point

Well, I'm only a First Year Undergrad now but I know I want to go to grad school one day

I have two subjects I'm very interested in, math and physics and I'm struggling with picking one, so I was wondering which am I worse off in with grad school prospects so far as that may help me decide which to go with

so I go to UCLA (first year undergrad)

physics- I'm barely taking my first Physics class (1A if you know the school) right now, third quarter in college (final of first year)
math- I've gotten some lower grades B+ in 32A A- in 32B (but A in 33A and anticipating an A in 33B) these classes are essentially all the prep classes for the major, Lower divisions as they call them here, so I've gotten lower grades in two math classes but am much farther along and can be taking classes for only math majors already next year.

Thank you

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Start taking upper division courses. Lower division courses don't give you any real feeling for what a major has to offer. Figure out which you like more and then pursue that. If you like both, go for both! You'll eventually become comfortable in deciding which graduate path you want to take if you do both.

Dear dww,

Deciding to attend graduate school - and picking a field - is one of the most important decisions that you'll make in academic and professional life.

I would encourage you to choose a field based on what excites you, not based on the degree of difficulty of being admitted to one program versus the other. You're in your first year of college and have plenty of time to take more classes in both math and physics before having to select your major.

If you find yourself enjoying both, consider double majoring. Since they're related fields, your graduate school applicant would only be strengthened, plus you would know with greater certainty which discipline you prefer.

Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,
Grad School Heaven

Grad School Heaven: Get Clear, Complete, and Expert Advice
http://www.gradschoolheaven.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: