Which field should I choose for grad school - math or physics?

In summary, dww is a first year undergraduate student who is interested in both math and physics. She is currently taking lower division math and physics courses, but plans to take upper division courses to increase her chances of being admitted to a graduate program. She recommends double majoring if you are interested in both fields, as the degree of difficulty for each program will be similar.
dww
Well, I'm only a First Year Undergrad now but I know I want to go to grad school one day

I have two subjects I'm very interested in, math and physics and I'm struggling with picking one, so I was wondering which am I worse off in with grad school prospects so far as that may help me decide which to go with

so I go to UCLA (first year undergrad)

physics- I'm barely taking my first Physics class (1A if you know the school) right now, third quarter in college (final of first year)
math- I've gotten some lower grades B+ in 32A A- in 32B (but A in 33A and anticipating an A in 33B) these classes are essentially all the prep classes for the major, Lower divisions as they call them here, so I've gotten lower grades in two math classes but am much farther along and can be taking classes for only math majors already next year.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Start taking upper division courses. Lower division courses don't give you any real feeling for what a major has to offer. Figure out which you like more and then pursue that. If you like both, go for both! You'll eventually become comfortable in deciding which graduate path you want to take if you do both.

Dear dww,

Deciding to attend graduate school - and picking a field - is one of the most important decisions that you'll make in academic and professional life.

I would encourage you to choose a field based on what excites you, not based on the degree of difficulty of being admitted to one program versus the other. You're in your first year of college and have plenty of time to take more classes in both math and physics before having to select your major.

If you find yourself enjoying both, consider double majoring. Since they're related fields, your graduate school applicant would only be strengthened, plus you would know with greater certainty which discipline you prefer.

Best of luck with your studies!

Grad School Heaven

Grad School Heaven: Get Clear, Complete, and Expert Advice
http://www.gradschoolheaven.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How important are GRE scores in getting into grad school?

GRE scores are just one factor that admissions committees consider when evaluating applicants for grad school. While they can be an important indicator of academic ability, they are not the only factor. Other factors, such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements, also play a significant role in the admissions process.

2. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into grad school?

There are several steps you can take to improve your chances of getting into grad school. First, focus on maintaining a high GPA and taking challenging courses in your undergraduate studies. Second, seek out research experiences and internships to demonstrate your interest and skills in your field of study. Third, build strong relationships with professors who can provide strong letters of recommendation. Lastly, prepare thoroughly for the GRE and put together a strong personal statement that showcases your passion and readiness for graduate studies.

3. Can I apply to multiple programs at once?

Yes, it is common for students to apply to multiple graduate programs at once. However, keep in mind that each program may have different application requirements and deadlines, so it is important to carefully research and plan out your applications to ensure you are not overwhelmed or miss any important deadlines.

4. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to get into grad school?

No, most graduate programs do not require applicants to have a specific undergraduate degree. However, some programs may have prerequisite courses or recommend certain undergraduate majors. It is important to carefully review the admissions requirements for each program you are interested in to ensure you meet the necessary qualifications.

5. How long does the application process for grad school typically take?

The application process for grad school can vary depending on the program and university. On average, it can take anywhere from 6-12 months from the time you start preparing your application to receiving an admissions decision. It is important to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to gather all necessary materials and submit your application before the deadline.