1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into Photonics grad school for an EE major

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    I hold an Electrical Engineering (EE) BSC (3.45/4 GPA). I graduated in 2009.

I am passionate to pursue a career in physics related studies specially optics and photonics. There are no universities offering that in my country. So I have to look in to US or Europe.

But it has now been about five years since I graduated, besides I don't have relevant work experience to photonics. I am currently working as a programmer/software developer. Consequently, grad schools are rejecting me.

So, I am thinking of a workaround here. (Strengthen myself and comeback)

I am going to do MSC in communication engineering, and a BSC on Applied math (physics stream) at the same time in a three year period, in my country.

I think that gives me an edge, but I will be 30 by then.

Even though, I will have the masters by then, I don't want to do PHD, because the education quality in my country is average. I want to go to a quality masters program in photonics.

What do you think my chances of getting accepted will be?

I really need your opinion
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted