1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into physics?

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    I took a term of Newtonian Mechanics (foundation of physics type of class) and found that I didn't enjoy it very much. I think it was because I never read the text book and tried to just dive right into problems, I didn't feel attending lecture ever really helped explain things to me, and I also am not the biggest fan of memorizing equations. NOW, that being said, I've finished single-variable calculus and I am taking multi-variable and lin. algebra next fall term. I truly am interested in physics, but it seems like I'm only interested in it when it's on my terms, but I think it might be worth trying physics again.

Opinions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2
    If you were trying to learn physics by memorizing equations, you were doing it wrong.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    I don't mean like equations for entire problems. But let's say, whatever the equation for a Joule is...

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4
    Forget the "equation" of a Joule, do you know what a Joule is, without looking it up?

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    Meh. I'm leaning towards work

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
    Like okay. I understand the differences between forces being acted ON an ojbect and BY an object, I understand work and etc. But here's my problem. Let's say the problem is, "Figure out the velocity of a satellite in orbit around the earth, given variables distance from earth, and et cetera type variables." I'd assume you use gravitational constant to figure out the problem in some way. I just cannot seem to figure out these types of equations though for some reason

8. Jun 20, 2010 #7
    You don't really need much memorization to solve something like that, though. If you understand what it all means, it's easy to derive. For instance, with your example:

[tex]v = d/t[/tex]

In a circular orbit, d is given by [tex]d = 2\pi r[/tex] (the circumference of a circle)

[tex]\implies v = \frac {2\pi r}{t}[/tex]

You can derive that from the basic definition of velocity and simple mathematics.

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    You don't really sound like you like physics at all, to be honest.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook