Getting into Physics: A High Schooler's Guide

• Thread starter Chris Plonski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a career in physics and is seeking guidance on where to start. They are concerned about their math skills and whether they can still get employed if they don't attend a prestigious college. They are advised to focus on building a strong math background in high school and to explore physics through courses like AP physics. Ultimately, their success in getting into graduate school and finding employment will depend on their effort and dedication.
Chris Plonski
Hello! My name is Chris, and I'm a sophomore in high-school. I've always been interested in physics and I recently decided that I wanted to pursue a career in physics. Now before I enter a new world, with no map, allow me to ask for directions. I have watched a lot of documentary's and read a few articles, and it came to my attention that math is an essential skill. See, math has always been my weakest subject, and I blame myself from lack of interest, but I'm totally willing to apply myself. Another concern I had was education. If I don't graduate from schools like Harvard, Princeton, etc. could I still get employed? I can try really hard, but, I think even with maximum effort, I couldn't get into an elite school like that. Can I graduate from a lesser college and still get employed? And finally, where do I start? what do I read?, what do I watch?, where do I go? with so much around, I need a place to start. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Plonski said:
Can I graduate from a lesser college and still get employed?

Yes. There are dozens, even hundreds of colleges and universities in the US where you can get a solid bachelor's degree in physics, that will potentially get you into a graduate school for a Ph.D. program. If you go to one of those colleges, getting into grad school is much more about you and what you did, than about where you went to college.

Chris Plonski said:
And finally, where do I start?

You start by getting a solid math background in high school: algebra, trigonometry, pre-calculus and introductory calculus. Also physics, of course. If you have AP physics available, that's good, but not essential. Most college physics major programs start with a freshman course that is similar to AP physics anyway. It makes things easier if you've already studied physics in high school, especially at the AP level. And if it turns out you really don't like studying physics (or the math that goes with it) after all, it's better to find that out sooner than later.

1. What is the best way to prepare for physics in high school?

The best way to prepare for physics in high school is to develop a strong foundation in math and science. This includes taking courses in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, as well as biology, chemistry, and physics. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving skills and critical thinking, as these are essential for success in physics.

2. Is it necessary to take advanced or honors level physics classes in high school?

No, it is not necessary to take advanced or honors level physics classes in high school. However, these courses can provide a more rigorous and in-depth understanding of physics concepts, which can be beneficial for students planning to pursue a career in physics or a related field.

3. What resources are available for high school students to learn more about physics?

There are many resources available for high school students to learn more about physics, including textbooks, online resources, and educational videos. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer summer programs and workshops specifically for high school students interested in physics.

4. How can I get hands-on experience with physics in high school?

There are several ways to get hands-on experience with physics in high school. Some schools offer physics clubs or extracurricular activities such as robotics or engineering clubs. Additionally, science fairs and competitions often have categories for physics projects, and many universities and organizations offer summer programs that allow students to conduct research in physics.

5. What can I do to stand out in college admissions as a prospective physics major?

To stand out in college admissions as a prospective physics major, it is important to maintain a strong academic record, particularly in math and science courses. In addition, participating in extracurricular activities related to physics, such as science fairs or clubs, and seeking out research opportunities can also demonstrate a passion and dedication to the subject. Finally, strong letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors in the field of physics can also help set you apart in the college application process.