Is It Difficult to Secure Engineering Jobs After Graduation?

In summary, after graduating from college, it is important to join a professional engineering society, read scientific and engineering journals, and network. It is also helpful to have a degree from a recognized college, have relevant summer work experience, and be versatile in your academic knowledge.
aarietta
Hello there!
I have a question to anyone who has an engineering degree, was it hard to find a job after you graduated?

Some of my dad's friends at work have an engineering degree but they couldn't find a job so they're working on the assembly line as labourers.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the type of engineering degree and the current demand for people with that degree.

In my case, I interviewed with a company and they offered me a job right away, i.e. the next morning. At the time, I was one of few people in the US who had experience with a particular code, and the company was desperate.

The demand for engineers (Mech E, EE, Chem E, . . .) rises and falls. There are certain areas, e.g. nanotechnology, which become very popular but then the demand tends to saturate.

While a student, it is worthwhile to become a student member of the technical/engineering society in the field of study, in order to start making contacts and meeting people in industry. Also, reading scientific and engieering journals keeps one abreast of current activities and future developments.

The general fields, like EE and ME usually have at least some demand all the time. I don't know how lucky I was, but I found my first job in 2 months in a pretty mediocre job market (I was in the navy just out of college, so it was a little bit of an unusual situation). More specialized, like Aero, depend on the political climate as much as anything. Aero is a tough one these days to find a job in.

Getting a job is all about effectively communicating you abilities, and persistence! Make sure to join professional organizations (and participate in them), be active in your pursuit of industry experience, and practice your basic interviewing skills.

Don't get discouraged by companies telling you they are not interested, you need to interview with as many companies as possible. Also, you must keep your options open and be willing to interview with companies you might not have thought of before. Finally, be willing to relocate to a different area. It might be nice to live in the same city you have lived in for 10 years, but you cut out tons of opportunities by saying you don't want to relocate.

I graduated with a friend who was an Aero, but he didn't try hard enough to get a job (too easily discouraged). I have a job with a large government contractor, and he works in insurance. He had a better GPA than I did too.

Everyone needs mechanical engineers, by the way.

BTW, I was on the job just shy of 4 months, and one of my companies clients offered me a job. :rofl: I had just moved 1800 miles, and I wasn't about to pack up and move again. I made the right decision based on what I have achieved so far.

I would also add that these days, it helps to be up on the latest analytical methods, e.g. FEM and multiphysics packages, the latest diagnostic techniques, and materials.

These days, an engineer needs to be academically diversified and versatile.

Last edited:
I must say that I have never really had too much of an issue finding a job in the ME area. If you keep your options open and look at all possibilities, not just the really cool sounding jobs, I think you'd be surprised as to how many opportunities are out there.

I second Astro's stating the need for engineers to be diversified in their knowledge.

In the UK at least there seems to be quite a shortage of good engineering graduates, - there are plenty of jobs to be had, but the biggest recruiters of engineering graduates have high standards and won't just take anyone with a degree. So yes, the jobs are there, but holding a certificate isn't the only thing you need to get one.

It will help tremendously if you get some applicable summer work and learn some skills besides school theory in your field.

What are the best ways to network as an engineer?

1. Attend career fairs and engineering conferences to meet professionals in your field.2. Join engineering organizations and attend their events and meetings.3. Utilize social media platforms such as LinkedIn to connect with other engineers and potential employers.4. Reach out to alumni from your university who are working in the engineering industry.5. Don't be afraid to reach out to people in your network and ask for referrals or recommendations.

How can I stand out during the job application process as an engineer?

1. Tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and company you are applying to.2. Highlight your technical skills and relevant experience.3. Showcase any projects or internships you have completed.4. Provide examples of problem-solving and critical thinking skills.5. Be prepared to discuss your passion for engineering and why you are a good fit for the company.

What skills do employers look for in engineers?

1. Strong technical skills in your specific field of engineering.2. Problem-solving and critical thinking skills.3. Communication and teamwork abilities.4. Adaptability and the ability to learn new technologies.5. Project management and organizational skills.

What is the average salary for engineers?

The average salary for engineers varies depending on the specific field and level of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineers was $91,010 in May 2019. However, this can range from around $55,000 for entry-level positions to over $150,000 for experienced engineers in certain industries.

What are the most in-demand engineering jobs?

Some of the most in-demand engineering jobs include software engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, civil engineers, and industrial engineers. Other growing fields include environmental engineering, biomedical engineering, and aerospace engineering.