How can I stay motivated to learn math?

• Thread starter plum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of math and the speakers' personal experiences and opinions towards it. One person expresses their hate for math, while others share how they overcame their dislike for the subject and even made it their major. They also give tips and advice for studying and understanding math, and share humorous instances where they applied math concepts in everyday situations. The conversation ends with the idea that thinking in math can become second nature.
plum
I definitely need math, as a means to an end. But I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :zzz:

How did you get motivated to do math? Are there any good and EASY websites (for people who hate math). I'm doing trig and intro. calculus. I want to do a degree in Physics, and I'd like to be able to understand General Relativity, so I will definitely need it. Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We didn't get motivated.

We get addicted and that pretty much explains it all. :)

The first step is to learn why you hate math.

plum said:
I'm doing trig and intro. calculus.
I'll let you in on a little secret... you're just starting to get into the fun stuff! Don't make up your mind about math just yet. It's too early.
Practice every day, and if you get stuck on anything, there's plenty of folks on this board who will be eager to help.

Math Is Hard said:
I'll let you in on a little secret... you're just starting to get into the fun stuff! Don't make up your mind about math just yet. It's too early.
Practice every day, and if you get stuck on anything, there's plenty of folks on this board who will be eager to help.

Very true.

Calculus turned my life around.

I failed finite mathematics in high school, and now I'm a math major.

Although, lately I have had some troubles with Complex Numbers, self-study. I am making stupid mistakes, but I won't get discouraged! :cool:

plum said:
I definitely need math, as a means to an end. But I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :zzz:

How did you get motivated to do math? Are there any good and EASY websites (for people who hate math). I'm doing trig and intro. calculus. I want to do a degree in Physics, and I'd like to be able to understand General Relativity, so I will definitely need it. Any help/suggestions much appreciated.
i never hate math or
math doesn't hate me at all,
we are like strangers and when a
problem comes up, we meet and
kiss each other till she is
unable to breath anymore.
i tried and try to draw
all of that problem's energy resources
and i will never leave that problem alone.
Thats my source, my food and my breathe :cool:

Math Is Hard said:

Go to your instructors first, I say. That's always the last thing I do when I get stumped.

I didn't like math, either, until I got into college. I've said nearly a dozen times that I nearly failed Algebra I in high school and now I'm making A's in Calculus. So don't give up!

JasonRox said:
I failed finite mathematics in high school, and now I'm a math major.

Although, lately I have had some troubles with Complex Numbers, self-study. I am making stupid mistakes, but I won't get discouraged! :cool:

Same with me, there, Jason (If you didn't know already). I'm not exactly a pure math major. I'm a math/computer science major. However, that won't stop me if I decide to get my masters in math. Something I'd never conceive myself of doing.

I'm having troubles in Calculus III. The instructor's style is totally different than what I'm used to. Two tests, a final, and no homework.

Chrono said:
I'm having troubles in Calculus III. The instructor's style is totally different than what I'm used to. Two tests, a final, and no homework.

That's how I like it. I like the conservatives ways. I would much prefer a ~20% midterm and a ~80% final. 'm lazy when it comes to do assignments.

I usually just study, and do a lot of questions.

I'm only first year, so it is hard to tell whether or not I will succeed, but I don't see why not. I haven't had big problems yet.

JasonRox said:
I'm only first year, so it is hard to tell whether or not I will succeed, but I don't see why not. I haven't had big problems yet.

This is the first time I've had problems and it's my third year. I feel that it will just go uphill from now on, however.

Chrono said:
This is the first time I've had problems and it's my third year. I feel that it will just go uphill from now on, however.

Overcoming problems is the best part.

Problems usually occur because you see things a certain way, but in order to move forward you must slightly change it.

I find it that everytime I learn something new, a big piece is added to the puzzle. It is important to put that piece at the right spot, or else problems occur.

That's the way I look at math.

Note: By next year, I will only think in numbers. Actually, it's starting already.

I know this because a girl said some guy had 3 times the size of breasts than hers, and I thought "that's undefined because 3/0 is not possible."

I hope you get what I thought at the time.

JasonRox said:
I know this because a girl said some guy had 3 times the size of breasts than hers, and I thought "that's undefined because 3/0 is not possible."

I do get it. I hope she didn't for your sake.

I'll do similar things in martial arts class. He told me to do 30 push-ups and I asked, "[tex]\pi^3[/tex] push-ups?" Of course, it's actually [tex]\pi^3 - 1[/tex]. I don't think they realized that, though. Another time, he told us to think like we were doing a circle when we dodged a punch and came back up with a hook punch. I asked him what the radius of the circle was.

Chrono said:
I asked him what the radius of the circle was.

LOL!

I do enjoy thinking math.

Even when people say simple words like range for their cellphones, I think math.

When I said something about changing your thought slightly in the previous post, I was thinking the Squeeze Theorem or a function wrapping around an horizontal asymptote. Think about it. You are trying to squeeze yourself through, and once you're through, you are ffffrrrrreeeeee! :cool:

JasonRox said:
The first step is to learn why you hate math.

I think the most common reason when you hate a subject is because you're not successful with it, not good at it or not being to solve the problems involved in the subject.
To avoid hating it, you should start doing easy problems which you can solve and gain some interest, then try the harder one; if you have any problem, ask for help then try to understand the problem and solve it again by yourself without any help. I think when you can solve some problems, you are getting motivated. However, what you really need is patience and determination.

XMLT

If you are always stuck on problems, You shouldn't hate it. It's okay to be angry but don't put too much emotion on it. Just keep practicing and one day you will get there. I like maths because of it's structured elegance, and everything is logical, even though I can't solve problems as quick as some other people, I still like maths...

Don't mistake school math for math

you probably just hate doing the homework...

Let me let you in on a secret. Real mathematics doesn't being until you get passed all lower level calculus sequences (1-4). Real math, the more interesting stuff, begins when you start actually proving things and you will come across from very strange and interesting results.

gravenewworld said:
Let me let you in on a secret. Real mathematics doesn't being until you get passed all lower level calculus sequences (1-4). Real math, the more interesting stuff, begins when you start actually proving things and you will come across from very strange and interesting results.

That is what I can't wait for. Number Theory sounds fun!

What are some strategies for getting motivated to learn math?

1. Set achievable goals: Having a clear goal in mind can help motivate you to learn math. Make sure your goals are specific, measurable, and realistic.

2. Find a study partner or group: Working with others can make learning math more enjoyable and can help keep you accountable.

3. Make it relevant: Connect math concepts to real-life situations to make it more interesting and meaningful.

4. Break it down: Math can be overwhelming, so break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks.

5. Reward yourself: Celebrate your progress and accomplishments, no matter how small. This can help motivate you to keep going.