How does the saponification process actually create soap?

• Thread starter MotoPayton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary, the process of creating soap involves treating animal fats with sodium hydroxide to create amphipathic molecules. The reaction described in the conversation will not create soap, but rather sodium carbonate. To create soap using carbon dioxide, a hydrocarbon base would need to be used and an organic solvent would be required. Soaps form micelles which trap hydrophobic particles and are then washed away by water. Carbonates are not stable in solution and decompose to carbon dioxide and water.
MotoPayton
By what process does this actually happen?

On wikipedia they show this reaction?

2 NaOH + CO2 → Na2CO3 + H2O

My chemistry teacher described it as a process
where

Process 2
NaOH + CO2 → NaHCO3 + (something else to balance equation not sure)

then

NaHCO3 + CO2 → Na2CO3 + H2O

How would I finish balancing that equation and which is the actual process?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponification

The process you have described will not create soap. It will create sodium carbonate, which is not soap.

Soap is an amphipathic molecule which consists of a nonpolar chain (hydrophobic) bonded to a polar (hydrophilic) functional group (carboxylate anion). These are created by treating animal fats (which contain ester bonds) with NaOH. The mechanism is described in the wikipedia article.

You can probably use carbon dioxide to make soap but you would need to use a hydrocarbon base (something like a grignard/gilman or organolithium) however you would then need to use an organic solvent because water will kill these reagents (they are some of the strongest bases known and will deprotonate any type of acidic hydrogen).

Soaps form micelles and 'solvate' or trap any particles that are hydrophobic while exposing the charged/hydrophilic head to the outside allowing for water to solvate the whole thing and wash everything away. Carbonates have no such hydrophobic regions and are not stable in solution anyway. They spontaneously decompose to carbon dioxide and water although I believe you need a bit of acid (don't quote me on the last part though, it may be the same situation with base).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micelle

1. How do I separate NaOH from soap?

The most common method is through a process called saponification, where excess NaOH is neutralized with an acid. This results in the formation of a salt, which can be easily separated from the soap through filtration or centrifugation.

2. Is it safe to handle soap with NaOH in it?

It is generally safe to handle soap with NaOH in it, as long as the soap has completed the saponification process. However, it is always recommended to wear protective gloves and eyewear when handling chemicals.

3. Can I use heat to speed up the separation process?

Yes, using heat can speed up the separation process by increasing the rate of the saponification reaction. However, it is important to monitor the temperature to avoid overheating and potentially damaging the soap.

4. What happens if I don't remove all of the NaOH from the soap?

If NaOH is not completely removed from the soap, it can cause skin irritation and dryness when used. Additionally, it can affect the quality and texture of the soap, making it less effective for cleaning.

5. Can I reuse the separated NaOH in another soap-making process?

Yes, the separated NaOH can be reused in another soap-making process. However, it is important to test the purity and concentration of the NaOH before using it to ensure it will not affect the quality of the soap.