Getting onto a PhD after a long gap.

• Thread starter IqbalHamid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Phd
In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a PhD in physics, despite it being over 25 years since they graduated with a BSc (Hons) degree. They have continued to pursue their interests in physics as a hobby and have multiple ideas for research. The recommended path for returning to academia is to first obtain a master's degree in physics to update knowledge and gain necessary skills, and then apply for a PhD program. It is advised to maintain contact with potential supervisors and research the admissions requirements of specific universities. Staying active in the field through attending events and contributing to publications is also important.
IqbalHamid
I would like to do a PhD in a Physics related subject. However, it has been over 25 years since I graduated. I graduated in the UK gaining a BSc (Hons) with a Class 2 Division 1.

At the time I was head hunted and received many offers but went on to pursue a career in an unrelated area. I have always regretted this and now wish to return to my passion.

I have a number of exciting and promising ideas for PhD research.

Despite the time, I am not as rusty as you might imagine as I have continued to pursue my interests as a pastime.

Can anyone please advise on how I can go about getting myself onto a PhD course? Will I still be accepted? Or will I have to do my BSc all over again or will I be reuired to complete an MSc beforehand?

Grateful for any advice or direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's great to hear that you have never lost your passion for physics! It's definitely possible to return to academia after a long break, and the best way to do this is to apply for a master's degree in physics. This will help you to update your knowledge and gain the skills necessary for a successful PhD. After completing the master's degree, you will be able to apply for a PhD program. It is also important to maintain contact with potential supervisors throughout the process, who can offer guidance and advice. It is possible that universities may require you to take additional courses or exams as part of your application process. You should research the admissions requirements of specific universities and departments to make sure you meet the criteria. Additionally, it is important to stay active in the field, by attending seminars, conferences, and contributing to publications.Best of luck with your PhD journey!

What is a PhD?

A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy, is the highest level of academic degree that can be obtained in a particular field of study. It typically requires several years of advanced study and research, culminating in the completion of a dissertation or thesis.

What is considered a long gap for getting onto a PhD?

A long gap for getting onto a PhD can vary depending on the individual and their personal circumstances. In general, it is typically considered to be a gap of 5 or more years since completing a previous degree or being actively involved in academic research.

Will a long gap affect my chances of getting onto a PhD program?

Having a long gap between degrees or research experience may not necessarily affect your chances of getting onto a PhD program. Admissions committees typically evaluate applicants based on their academic qualifications, research experience, and potential for success in the program.

How can I address a long gap in my application for a PhD program?

If you have a long gap in your academic or research experience, you can address it in your application by explaining the reasons for the gap and highlighting any relevant experiences or skills you have gained during that time. You can also use your personal statement or letters of recommendation to showcase your potential for success in the program.

Are there any specific requirements for getting onto a PhD after a long gap?

The requirements for getting onto a PhD program after a long gap may vary depending on the institution and program. In general, you will still need to meet the same academic and research requirements as other applicants, but you may also need to provide additional documentation or evidence of your qualifications and potential for success in the program.