Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Paid

1. Jun 28, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just sitting here steaming a bit while considering what to do with a customer of mine. It's always the small timers who don't want to pay their bills. Its funny really, I once had a customer, a large company, that owed me over $30,000; and all on a handshake! But the little guys tend to be really snakey. After saving this guys butt, and I mean big time, and after giving him tremendous breaks on the price, nearly 50% off, and just because he was in trouble, now he's trying to ignore the bill. What he doesn't know is that his customer already promised to pay me and deduct it from his bill from my customer, if needed. :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2005 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I know exactly what you mean Ivan, although in my situation it's my company that gets the stiff. Currently, I do the accounts receivables, so I am the lucky one to call customers to get payment from them if they go over the 30 day grace period terms. It usually is the small companies trying to avoid paying what they owe for product or services. When I mention the magic word "collections", I usually get a check promptly. Once a customer has pushed me to this point, I put their account on COD so they have to pay for their product/services at the time they receive them.

4. Jun 28, 2005 #3
    GEEZ! Don't get me started! 60-75% of our invoices are $2.00 and below and the FOIA says we can't make anyone pre-pay for having not paid in the past. I have invoices that are 4 years old and no one has the guts to write them off. On the other hand, most of those invoices are probably from people that have gone to their reward by now. Still, it boils my peanuts to know that no one has the sand to wipe the 180 plus file. If they did my "aged accounts" would be cut by three fourths.

5. Jun 29, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I worked for my dad, we started giving people an incentive (Marks & Spencer voucher, or whatever) for paying early. Seemed to do the trick, although we once had a Solicitor client of ours go bankrupt on us!

6. Jun 29, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What do you do ivan? :D

7. Jun 29, 2005 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I worked for a ma and pa shop right out of college. They were notorious for not paying bills until someone threatened them. It made life so much easier for us slugs that had to try to deal with them on a day to day basis.

8. Jun 29, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do systems integration and industrial automation; consulting, programming, engineering.

There is a guy like this who owns a company in the Portland area. A business associate had done some work and wasn't getting paid. When he finally went into the office and talked with the owner, the guy pulled out a stack of checks already cut for the vendors which included the late payment for my associate. It turns out that this customer doesn't pay until someone stands in front of him and demands payment. This is a case where the customer is so big that even the largest suppliers put up with the abuse.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?