Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Rid of a Virus

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    Ok all you computer smart people. I just got a virus and was wondering if it is possible to get rid of it. I have no idea what it is called but what happened was my friend messaged me on msn and said "I hope this isn't you and then a link" because i thought it was just my friend trying to talk to me I opened the link and nothing really seemed to happen. So I messaged my friend back and she was like oh yeah thats cause it was a virus I got thats been randomly sending that to people on my contact list .....apparently she didnt feel it was necessary to warn ppl this might happen :grumpy: Anyone know what this virus is and how I can get rid of it? All I can figure out so far that has happened is it reset my homepage to some stupid gaming site full of stoners, and my norton isnt picking it up and I can't seem to get on the norton site to figure out what to do. Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Use system restore, it can be a very effective tool sometimes. It helped me in a few suspicious situations.

4. Jan 27, 2007 #3
  5. Jan 27, 2007 #4
    Try using some other kind of anti-virus software.

6. Jan 27, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I use Webroot Spy Sweeper for that kind of thing, anti virus software usually doesn't detect that type of program. You have spyware that's hijacked your browser.

7. Jan 27, 2007 #6
    the first link wouldnt work for me but from the second one I think i have the imnames one. But when I follow the steps and make it to the msconfig startup section the program just disappears on me. It won't stay up long enough for me to find and uncheck the imnames thing. Suggestions?

8. Jan 27, 2007 #7

Evo

9. Jan 27, 2007 #8
    One of the most popular anti-spyware software is Spybot Search & Destroy. If the ones suggested doesn't suit your needs, you could try this one. I've used it for over a year and it works fine for me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  10. Jan 27, 2007 #9
    Moridin, Spybot, as the name suggests, in an anti-spyware software.

11. Jan 27, 2007 #10
    OK I'm downloading the spysweeper thing right now. Hopefully this will work.

12. Jan 27, 2007 #11
    OK so I did a full system scan with the spysweeper thing and it told me I have a trojan horse, a system monitor, and a bunch of spyware cookies but it won't let me get rid of any of them wishout paying for a subscription.

13. Jan 27, 2007 #12

Evo

14. Jan 27, 2007 #13

Astronuc

My daughter did something similar, but the virus trashed her XP OS, or she just started deleting OS files, which some message indicated were corrupted. I could never get the complete story. I only found out about it when I noticed a startup error which indicated that NTLDR and other files could not be found.

If one ever gets a message like "I hope this isn't you and then a link" - do not click on the link! STOP - and THINK - would this friend send a message like this? If one receives an unsolicited link, put the cursor over it and look at the url. DO NOT click on the link!

We use bitdefender these days as opposed to Norton. MacAfee is another possible choice.

15. Jan 27, 2007 #14
    You can also disable hyperlinks display in your IM client. Hovering over the link won't do much on some IM clients though (this includes msn).

16. Jan 27, 2007 #15
    Yeah now im getting messages saying "Found you and then the link" so watch out for that one to.

So how did she get rid of it? I have no idea what to do and everything I try does not work :cry:

17. Jan 27, 2007 #16

Evo

Did you try the ad aware? People say it's good.

If ad aware didn't work, then you may have to break down and buy something like spy sweeper, I personally have found it to be superior in removing spyware and trojans to any other software on the market, it removed a trojan that no other program could remove.

It also prevents trojans and spyware from being added to your computer. Whenever malware attempts to install itself, it quarantines it and notifies you.

18. Jan 27, 2007 #17
    Yeah I tried adaware and apparently it didnt work. I already payed a small fortune to buy norton. I think ill have to take the computer to future shop or something and have them fix it.

19. Jan 27, 2007 #18

Evo

Did you try Moridin's Spybot?

I'm going to move this to technology, perhaps someone knows of some other free spyware removal programs that might work.

Do the free spy sweeper scan again and see if ad aware failed to remove the spyware.

20. Jan 27, 2007 #19
    Thanks evo, adware and spysweeper dont seem to be picking it up because ive run about 3 scans and i still seem to have it.

21. Jan 27, 2007 #20

Astronuc

She didn't get rid of it. It totally trashed Windows XP - or she deleted some key system files.

I waited several weeks for HP to send a rescue disk - but they never did - despite promises that they would take care of it.

Her boyfriend's brother-in-law did an OS replacement, which means she lost her data and some apps. The reintallation also lost the wireless NIC interface, which I still have to figure out.

MacAfee (we use ASAP at work) and Bitdefender have spyware detect and remove features IIRC. I think at work, we use xTerminator, in addition to MacAfee.

http://www.mcafeeasap.com/intl/en/content/virusscan_asap/default.asp? - for small businesses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?