Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting rid of windows ME

1. Aug 28, 2004 #1
    Hey all,

I've got WindowsME on my laptop, and want to upgrade to XP on a CLEAN SLATE. However, I've tried a couple things and can't get it to overwrite or otherwise format the sections that have ME. Now I've got 2 OSes on the hard drive, and would like to know how I can completely erase it all and start anew. Thanks in advance.

-betsy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you go to install XP it should ask where you want to install it. You are shown the existing partitions and OSs on board. You want to delete all partitions. Then, create a new one with the maximum storage possible. Finally, do the long format and install XP.

Choose D to delete at the proper time. If you watch your screens carefully the option should be made clear in the instructions along the bottom of the screen. I think you use C to create a new partition. Make sure that you are left with only one partition on which to install XP. You have inadvertently created two partitions.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  4. Aug 29, 2004 #3
    I recommend against that. I suggest creating a two partitions, One to store your "my documents" and one to store your windows/apps/everything else. When you have problems in the future you will thank me ;)

5. Aug 29, 2004 #4
    Yeah, the problem with that is that when I try to delete existing partitions in that installation screen, the parts with ME on it say that "temporary files required for installation are located in this section and cannot be deleted." It doesn't give me an option to go ahead anyway, it just say they can't be deleted. Which is why I ended up just putting XP on the empty space. I actually have 3 partitions now, 2 of which were created by the previous owner, and which cannot be deleted in the installation screen despite my repeated attempts...

-betsy

6. Aug 29, 2004 #5
    Weird, i guess parmagic would help in healing your laptop's 2 wounds..

7. Aug 29, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have a bootable diagnostic utility that checks the disk? That might be worth a go. Otherwise, dunno. I would check with the Windows tech support site. This is likely a known issue that will pop up in the tech notes section. Also, if you bought XP you get two free support incidents. Let MS figure it out, if possible, and if no one else here knows of this problem. It sounds to me like yet another ME issue. Heck, if you bought ME you can get support on that basis.

8. Aug 29, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a good idea but it has draw backs as well. I swore off multiple partitions some time ago. In the event of serious problems it can make things worse. Of course, I was using Partition Magic which creates true partitions. I'm not sure, maybe my problem is more with this product than anything else.

9. Aug 29, 2004 #8
    If you want the drive wiped, partitions and all, you might look into AutoClave. I have used this utility a number of times successfully. Below is a link to learn more and download;

http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

Good luck

10. Aug 31, 2004 #9
    Well, I've decided partition magic is evil. There's something wrong with the computer, and I can't get it to a) boot from CD and b) boot at all. It says something like NTLDR is missing, and press ctrl+alt+del to start. I take full blame because apparently I missed the section that tells you that you need a disk, but they should have made it harder for me to **** everything up.

Sigh.

11. Aug 31, 2004 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you boot up, the screen should suggest some keystroke to get to your BIOS settings. (Key word is BIOS) You should be able to fix the boot location from there.

12. Sep 1, 2004 #11
    Yeah, I had already tried the BIOS. It doesn't work--just goes straight to the error message screen. But I've been talking to ppl and they say that the ntldr problem is fixable, once you know how. So I've been working on that...

13. Sep 1, 2004 #12
  14. Sep 8, 2004 #13
    Thanks guys--I'm not sure what went wrong w/the first install, but as it turned out, I tried using a *different* XP disc for a fresh install and that one worked. I guess there was just sthg wrong w/the 1st disc. My laptop's quite happy now.

-betsy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?