Can I completely remove Windows ME and upgrade to XP on my laptop?

• Thread starter qwpoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation is about upgrading from WindowsME to XP and how to perform a clean installation. The recommended steps include deleting all existing partitions, creating a new one with maximum storage, and performing a long format before installing XP. There is also a suggestion to create two partitions for "my documents" and Windows/apps. The conversation also mentions using a diagnostic utility and seeking support from Microsoft if there are any issues. One person mentions using a utility called AutoClave to completely wipe the drive. There is also a discussion about problems encountered during the installation process, including an error message related to NTLDR and using a different XP disc to successfully install the operating system.
qwpoi
Hey all,

I've got WindowsME on my laptop, and want to upgrade to XP on a CLEAN SLATE. However, I've tried a couple things and can't get it to overwrite or otherwise format the sections that have ME. Now I've got 2 OSes on the hard drive, and would like to know how I can completely erase it all and start anew. Thanks in advance.

-betsy

Computer science news on Phys.org
When you go to install XP it should ask where you want to install it. You are shown the existing partitions and OSs on board. You want to delete all partitions. Then, create a new one with the maximum storage possible. Finally, do the long format and install XP.

Choose D to delete at the proper time. If you watch your screens carefully the option should be made clear in the instructions along the bottom of the screen. I think you use C to create a new partition. Make sure that you are left with only one partition on which to install XP. You have inadvertently created two partitions.

Last edited:
Then, create a new one with the maximum storage possible

I recommend against that. I suggest creating a two partitions, One to store your "my documents" and one to store your windows/apps/everything else. When you have problems in the future you will thank me ;)

Ivan Seeking said:
When you go to install XP it should ask where you want to install it. You are shown the existing partitions and OSs on board. You want to delete all partitions. Then, create a new one with the maximum storage possible. Finally, do the long format and install XP.

Choose D to delete at the proper time. If you watch your screens carefully the option should be made clear in the instructions along the bottom of the screen. I think you use C to create a new partition. Make sure that you are left with only one partition on which to install XP. You have inadvertently created two partitions.

Yeah, the problem with that is that when I try to delete existing partitions in that installation screen, the parts with ME on it say that "temporary files required for installation are located in this section and cannot be deleted." It doesn't give me an option to go ahead anyway, it just say they can't be deleted. Which is why I ended up just putting XP on the empty space. I actually have 3 partitions now, 2 of which were created by the previous owner, and which cannot be deleted in the installation screen despite my repeated attempts...

-betsy

Weird, i guess parmagic would help in healing your laptop's 2 wounds..

Do you have a bootable diagnostic utility that checks the disk? That might be worth a go. Otherwise, dunno. I would check with the Windows tech support site. This is likely a known issue that will pop up in the tech notes section. Also, if you bought XP you get two free support incidents. Let MS figure it out, if possible, and if no one else here knows of this problem. It sounds to me like yet another ME issue. Heck, if you bought ME you can get support on that basis.

Goalie_Ca said:
I recommend against that. I suggest creating a two partitions, One to store your "my documents" and one to store your windows/apps/everything else. When you have problems in the future you will thank me ;)

This is a good idea but it has draw backs as well. I swore off multiple partitions some time ago. In the event of serious problems it can make things worse. Of course, I was using Partition Magic which creates true partitions. I'm not sure, maybe my problem is more with this product than anything else.

If you want the drive wiped, partitions and all, you might look into AutoClave. I have used this utility a number of times successfully. Below is a link to learn more and download;

http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

Good luck

Well, I've decided partition magic is evil. There's something wrong with the computer, and I can't get it to a) boot from CD and b) boot at all. It says something like NTLDR is missing, and press ctrl+alt+del to start. I take full blame because apparently I missed the section that tells you that you need a disk, but they should have made it harder for me to **** everything up.

Sigh.

When you boot up, the screen should suggest some keystroke to get to your BIOS settings. (Key word is BIOS) You should be able to fix the boot location from there.

Yeah, I had already tried the BIOS. It doesn't work--just goes straight to the error message screen. But I've been talking to ppl and they say that the ntldr problem is fixable, once you know how. So I've been working on that...

Thanks guys--I'm not sure what went wrong w/the first install, but as it turned out, I tried using a *different* XP disc for a fresh install and that one worked. I guess there was just sthg wrong w/the 1st disc. My laptop's quite happy now.

-betsy

1. How do I uninstall Windows ME?

To uninstall Windows ME, you will need to insert your Windows ME installation disc and boot your computer from the disc. Then, follow the prompts to uninstall the operating system.

2. Can I upgrade from Windows ME to a newer operating system?

Yes, you can upgrade from Windows ME to a newer operating system such as Windows XP, Vista, or 7. However, it is recommended to completely uninstall Windows ME before upgrading to avoid any compatibility issues.

3. Is it possible to downgrade from Windows ME to an older operating system?

Yes, you can downgrade from Windows ME to an older operating system such as Windows 98 or Windows 2000. However, this process may be complicated and it is recommended to seek professional assistance.

4. Will I lose all my data if I get rid of Windows ME?

If you properly uninstall Windows ME, your personal data should not be affected. However, it is always recommended to back up your important files and documents before making any changes to your operating system.

5. Is it necessary to get rid of Windows ME?

No, it is not necessary to get rid of Windows ME if it is still functioning well for your needs. However, since this operating system is no longer supported by Microsoft, it may be more vulnerable to security threats and it is recommended to upgrade to a newer operating system for better protection.