Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Started on an Aerospace Science Project

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    I am currently starting my Junior year in high school. I am very interested in majoring in aerospace engineering in college and would like to attend (if possible) a top engineering school such as MIT, Cal-Tech, or others. This year I would really like to compete in a science competition such as the Siemens Competition or Intel ISEF and, naturally, I plan on doing something based on aerospace engineering to help get me some experience in the field.

Here's my problem. I have no 'formal' background in aerospace engineering, and I basically have no idea where to start. I am interested in the structural design of air, and particularly spacecraft - though I would be willing and eager to do a project in virtually any related field. (Because of the level of the competition, I am looking to do a high level project. Despite my lack of background in aerospace, I am still a good student and feel that I could pick it up, at least to an advanced High School level.) The few questions I have are these:
    - What would be good areas to research?
    - (Similar to the first) What are some problems in the field that would be worth looking at and attempting to address?
    - and most importantly, what would be some good books/texts that I could read for research and to give me a better understanding of the field and the problems faced in it (also, so I can better determine a topic)

If anyone has any other advice on how to get started on a science fair project such as this, I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted