Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting started with IDL

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    I'd like to get a book to get me up and running with IDL. I have little to no programming experience, so I'm looking for something that doesn't assume the reader has been exposed any sort of programming languages a priori. Any recommendation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2
    IDL Programming

I've found "Practical IDL Programming" by Liam Gumley to be a pretty helpful book (I got mine off Amazon). The IDL online help is good, but does assume you have a cursory knowledge of where to start and what you're doing. The book above basically assumes you know nothing - it's really handy to get you to understand the basics.

The IDL news group is a helpful place to ask questions as well:

Finally, the forum on the IDL website can connect you directly with IDL's tech support:

I think they also offer cheap training for academic/university people, but I don't know the cost.

Hope this helps!
  4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    Alright, thank you very much, I'll be looking into it.

Why the anonymity though?
  5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    Can anyone help, I am using IDL since March this year I dnt hv backgroud of programming, but I am trying my best to learn IDL. How to make stacked plots. I tried using over plot, I gives a plot sharing x-axis and y axis, but I want a plot that shares x- axis but not y-axis. so can you suggests and provides a sample of code for that. I real need ur help!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?