1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Started

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    To start off, i'm not sure if this is the place to post this, so if i'm wrong, please forgive me.
    I graduated high school two years ago this may and am going to start college this fall. When i was in high school, i didn't try very hard in my math classes. I never planned on attending college so i didn't think i had any reason to study hard. But things change and i am set to attend this fall. I want to try to pursue a career in astronomy or astrophysics. What are some good ways to begin preparing mathmaticaly and scientificaly for a career in these fields? I would appreciate any advice you can post. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    Take the math placement/evaluation exam at your uni. Most have them online. If yours doesn't go to another uni site that does. If you can do that and get a perfect score you should be fine. Otherwise focus on what you suck at.
  4. May 18, 2010 #3
    Brush up on basic math. Get comfortable with manipulating algebraic equations, trigonometric identities, logarithms/exponents, graphing, functions, etc. Generally, you can test straight into Calculus I(or if the math department allows, Calculus II) if you do well on placement exams.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook