Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Started

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    To start off, i'm not sure if this is the place to post this, so if i'm wrong, please forgive me.
    I graduated high school two years ago this may and am going to start college this fall. When i was in high school, i didn't try very hard in my math classes. I never planned on attending college so i didn't think i had any reason to study hard. But things change and i am set to attend this fall. I want to try to pursue a career in astronomy or astrophysics. What are some good ways to begin preparing mathmaticaly and scientificaly for a career in these fields? I would appreciate any advice you can post. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    Take the math placement/evaluation exam at your uni. Most have them online. If yours doesn't go to another uni site that does. If you can do that and get a perfect score you should be fine. Otherwise focus on what you suck at.

4. May 18, 2010 #3
    Brush up on basic math. Get comfortable with manipulating algebraic equations, trigonometric identities, logarithms/exponents, graphing, functions, etc. Generally, you can test straight into Calculus I(or if the math department allows, Calculus II) if you do well on placement exams.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook