A New Chance at Education: My Journey Back to School

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to go back to school and pursue a physics degree. They currently work as a General Manager for two restaurants and have been studying physics with the help of a friend in a graduate program. It is suggested that they enroll in a local community college to brush up on basic math skills and potentially transfer to a better university. The speaker has already enrolled in an introductory algebra course and is seeking advice and suggestions on the best path to take. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of studying a particularly challenging physics book and the potential benefits of taking classes at a community college for a smoother transition into the college mindset.
tkav1980
Please bear with me, this may be long winded.

I graduated high school with an Academic scholarship to a decent university. I was not mature enough to handle living away at school and promptly failed out/dropped out. Currently I am a General Manager for 2 restaurants and just turned 30. I want to go back to school and pursue my Physics degree. I've read and reread every book on physics i could get my hands on that i can comprehend. Luckly I have a friend in a graduate program who is patiently helping me get through,"The Road to Reality", By Penrose. One way or another i have to get back into school.

It was suggested I enroll at a local community college and begin to relearn some basic math. Algebra, trig, pre calc...etc. I was thinking the best bet would be to get an A.S. form a local community college in Math then try to transfer to a better university.

I'm Basically fishing for suggestions or a point in the right direction. I Have enrolled to take an intro to algebra course, I don't know if i NEED this course but i figured it can't hurt.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, its a good idea on several fronts. It gets you used to thinking logically again, you can brush the rust off your math skills, and not least of all, it gives you a chance to establish good study habits and grades early. Also check with your CC on their local transfer programs. A lot of states have it set up so that most credits will transfer to 4-yr schools - where I live, I think its called "Stars" or some such.

I feel your pain with Penrose. I'm on my second reading of that particular book, hoping some will actually sink in this time. But its still tortuous. lol

You might be able to take more than just basic math classes at the local college. As jmason said, check on the transferability of the credit they offer, but you may be able to knock out a lot of coursework close to home and it will be much more affordable and you'll also be able to continue working your job(s) while you do so i.e. an easier transition out of "the real world" and back into the college mindset. You'll definitely want to set up an appointment with an adviser at the community college so that you can explain your personal situation in detail and get their advice on the best way to proceed.

1. What inspired you to go back to school?

After years of working in the field, I realized the limitations of my career without a higher education. I wanted to challenge myself and expand my knowledge in order to pursue new opportunities and make a difference in my field.

2. How did you balance work and school?

It was definitely a challenge, but I made a strict schedule and prioritized my time. I also had a supportive employer who allowed me to have a flexible work schedule and offered assistance with tuition reimbursement.

3. What were some of the biggest challenges you faced during your journey back to school?

One of the biggest challenges was adjusting to the academic workload and expectations after being out of school for so long. It also required a lot of self-discipline and time management to balance work, school, and personal life.

4. How did going back to school impact your career?

Going back to school opened up new opportunities for me and allowed me to advance in my career. I gained new skills, knowledge, and credentials that made me a more competitive candidate for higher positions and increased my earning potential.

5. What advice do you have for others considering going back to school?

My advice would be to carefully weigh the pros and cons and make sure it aligns with your long-term goals. It is also important to have a strong support system and to stay motivated and focused on your end goal, even when facing challenges. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek resources, such as financial aid or tutoring services, to make the journey more manageable.