How can I get to know my professors for strong letters of recommendation?

• Thread starter murmillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, you can try to get to know your professors better by going to office hours, contacting them to ask questions about grad school, and getting involved in your department.
murmillo
I'm a junior math major who is strongly considering applying to math grad school. I was wondering, how do students let professors get to know them better so that those professors can write strong letters of recommendation? I go to a small college where it's basically impossible to do research with a professor. I've figured that the only way for professors to get to know me better is if I go to office hours. But what do I do there? For instance, I'm really interested in differential geometry, but I don't really have many questions to ask my professor about it. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several things you can do.

1) Go to every class. This may sound obvious but going to class on time, paying attention/participating in class is one of the best ways to show your professors that you are a motivated student.

2) Contact one of your professors (whoever you feel is most approachable) and tell them that you want to ask some questions about grad school. Ask for for advice on, say, finding summer internships, which grad schools to apply to, which schools have the best programs in your area of interest, etc.

3)The professors you ultimately ask to write you rec letters don't have to be your best friends to write a good letter. Some professors will, in fact, ask you to give them a copy of your resume and/or statement of purpose so that they have a better idea of what to write. It's perfectly ok to tell a professor "Dr. Smith, I was wondering if you could write me a letter of recommendation for grad school. I would be happy to give you a copy of my resume or statement of purpose if that would be helpful for you".

You are over thinking it. Go talk to them. They are human believe it or not.

Well, I know I should talk to them, but what would I talk to them about? I wouldn't want to go up to them during office hours and starting chatting about sports, when they're busy.

Talk about grad school. That you're trying to get in there. Maybe ask them advice on research, self-study,... If you show that you're motivated, they will appreciate it...

Get involved in your department.

Go to departmental seminars on a regular basis, and if there are things that you don't understand, ask the professors about them.

Volunteer with your undergraduate physics or math or whatever society. This could involve organizing talks aimed at undergrads, representing the department at recruitment fairs, running science camps, assisting with conferences, etc. - all of which will usually have professors as mentors.

Volunteer or try to get a job doing research.

Volunteer for competative engineering teams. Projects like this (eg. a solar race car team) will usually have a professor mentor and if you win any kind of award, it's something to add to your graduate application. Not to mention, the competitions themselves can be fun.

Ultimately the point is that you should aim for some honest involvement that can give your application some meat. From this, relationships with professors are likely to develop naturally.

Choppy said:
Get involved in your department.

Go to departmental seminars on a regular basis, and if there are things that you don't understand, ask the professors about them.

Volunteer with your undergraduate physics or math or whatever society. This could involve organizing talks aimed at undergrads, representing the department at recruitment fairs, running science camps, assisting with conferences, etc. - all of which will usually have professors as mentors.

Volunteer or try to get a job doing research.

Volunteer for competative engineering teams. Projects like this (eg. a solar race car team) will usually have a professor mentor and if you win any kind of award, it's something to add to your graduate application. Not to mention, the competitions themselves can be fun.

Ultimately the point is that you should aim for some honest involvement that can give your application some meat. From this, relationships with professors are likely to develop naturally.

After volunteering with the undergrad society here for 2 years, I think I have talked to every single faculty member in my department. Perhaps 50% of them should know me personally. Along the way, I helped with a social camp for incoming freshmen, two department "open day"s, two poster competitions, coordinated a graduation photoshoot for the seniors etc.

It was great fun and I got to meet many talented seniors/juniors too, including the graduate students. I did not join the undergrad society with the expectation of networking, but it did seem to work out well in that area.

I also find that answering the prof's and Ta's questions in class helps them to remember you. During the lecture break, I will try to clear my doubts with the prof. After class, I have no reservations about approaching profs/TAs in their office to seek help with the course material; more often they are happy to help than not.

I think it is most important to understand that professors are human beings too. As long as you are not superficial in your dealings with them and do your research (don't ask them stupid/out-of-bounds questions...they will remember you for the wrong reasons then), they can be acquaintances too

murmillo said:
Well, I know I should talk to them, but what would I talk to them about? I wouldn't want to go up to them during office hours and starting chatting about sports, when they're busy.

Look up any papers they've published. Try to read them, and come to them with questions. They'll be flattered and it gives you a common interest. It gives you a starting point for conversation, at least.

Last edited:
I guess it's hard because we don't have an undergrad math society, it's hard to do research with a professor at my college (there are usually no opportunities), and I don't (yet) have a grading position. I do go to colloquia where professors from other colleges come and discuss their research, and I do ask professors questions, but usually only when I need help. I took a really easy math class last semester (or at least, to me it was easy) and I never went to office hours because I never needed to.

What is the best way to introduce myself to a professor?

The best way to introduce yourself to a professor is to attend office hours or schedule a meeting with them. This shows that you are interested in their class and want to get to know them. Additionally, you can introduce yourself through email or after class, but make sure to be respectful of their time.

How can I build a good relationship with a professor?

To build a good relationship with a professor, it's important to attend their classes regularly, participate in discussions, and ask for their advice or guidance. Show genuine interest in their subject and be respectful in your interactions. It's also helpful to attend office hours and get to know them on a more personal level.

Is it appropriate to ask a professor personal questions?

It is generally not appropriate to ask a professor personal questions, as their personal life is separate from their role as a professor. However, if a professor willingly shares personal information with you, it's okay to engage in conversation about it. Just remember to always be respectful and maintain appropriate boundaries.

How can I get a recommendation letter from a professor?

In order to get a recommendation letter from a professor, it's important to first establish a good relationship with them. Attend their classes regularly, participate in discussions, and ask for their guidance and advice. When you are ready to ask for a recommendation letter, make sure to provide them with all the necessary information, such as your resume and the specific program or job you are applying for.

What should I do if I have a conflict with a professor?

If you have a conflict with a professor, it's important to first approach them calmly and professionally to try and resolve the issue. If the conflict cannot be resolved, you can reach out to a department head or academic advisor for assistance. It's important to handle conflicts with professors respectfully and in a timely manner to avoid any negative impacts on your academic progress.