1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Wavelet Basis functions

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

Say that I have a 1D signal such that f=Bw where f is the signal B is the basis functions and w is the wave co-efficients. The question that I have is how do I find the B matrix in Matlab.

I am looking through WaveLab and Rice Wavelet packages but simply cannot find an answer. As for the type of wavelet, for the moment I'm not too worried. Note that I am not concerned about trying to find w by using wavedec or similar functions in Matlab. Simply want some sort of a Basis Matrix that will allow me to compress a generic signal.

Thanks,
    Sachin

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look into proper orthogonal decomposition. There are some good papers/resources out there that can guide you.

Hopefully I didn't misinterpret your question.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    Hey thanks for the reply. I dont mean to be a bother, but were you talking about wavelets in particular or general orthogonal decompositions. If you were could you tell me what exactly to google, or maybe a paper that you would recommend?

Thanks,
    Sachin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook