Does Running in the Rain Make You More or Less Wet?

• Thread starter mordechai9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rain
In summary, the amount of water soaking a surface parallel to the constant rain fall is a constant of the path taken, and the amount of water soaking a perpendicular surface is proportional to the time spent. Therefore, running at a constant rate will result in getting less wet than walking. This model assumes that the rain falls straight down, but can be adjusted for different angles. However, if one were to stand still or move at an infinite speed, they would still get wet to some degree.
mordechai9
Let's say it's raining outside and you're traveling by foot from point A to point B. If you run, will you get more wet or less wet, or will it be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the rain is coming down at a constant rate, it pretty much has to be less if you run than if you walk.

It is not the same. If you walk under the rain, you get the rain from two direction: from ahead W1 and from front of you W2.
W1 is proportional to the the time you travel : the longer you go, the bigger W1
W1 = S/V*A1*J :
where S : the distance from A to B
V : your speed
J : the flux of the rain (drop/m2/sec)
A1 : cross section area of your body according to vertical direction (perpendicular to)

W2 is calculated as follow:
W2 = A2*J *sin(actan(V/Vo))*S/V
where A2 the cross section area of your body according to the direction you go
Vo : speed of the rain drop.

I think (W1+W2) will depend on V and may be we can find its max/min value.

I tested it in excel, the faster you run, the less wet you get.

pixel01 said:
I tested it in excel, the faster you run, the less wet you get.

Does it only work for spherical chickens in a vacuum? :D

I think that's an interesting post Pixel, however, I have a few objections:

1.) You assume the rain falls straight down. This is not necessarily accurate.
2.) Where do you get the sin term for your equation for W2? I don't follow you there.
3.) There are two different fluxes of rain; the flux of rain which hits you from above, and the flux of rain which hits you on your front. Clearly, the second flux is a function of your speed.

Please continue...

@ dst : it works for all A1 and A2, so your spherical chickens are covered.
@ mordechhai: please try to draw the sketch. My model requires the rain drop straight down. If necessary, you can change it for some alpha. You can have a second look at W2 expression: it depends on the speed V

Here is the plot in MATLAB with different flux J

Attachments

• rrr.JPG
    rrr.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 492
pixel01 said:
W2 is calculated as follow:W2 = A2*J *sin(actan(V/Vo))*S/V
(But consider your limit where Vo=0. Or in general, transform to the frame where this is so.)

The amount of water soaking a surface parallel to the constant rain fall is a constant of the path taken, and the amount of water soaking a perpendicular surface is proportional to the time spent, so running is always optimal.

Last edited:
Um, I may be wrong here, but I think that the location of where a rain drop falls is randomly scattered. So if you were to stand still the odds on more rain hitting you would be significantly higher than if you were to say move quickly. Even though you will get soaked either way, I believe that changing your own position frequently will effectively reduce the chances of getting wetter than if you were to stand perfectly still or move slower.
I suppose an analogy to my understanding would be waiting in the carpark of a shopping mall for an empty space to become available, odds are if you keep moving you'll be less like to find a car space (avoiding the rain), whereas if you stay in the one location in the car park you're practically guranteed to come across a lot (soaked by rain) eventually.

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
I think W2=A2*J*S. Particularly, consider the limit where Vo=0.

Imagine the rain is not straight down, but inclines with alpha angle. so the water you get is S*J*A2*sin (alpha). Let say you have a hat, so alpha = 0, you are dry and alpha=90 dgees, you get the max wet.
Now, the rain is straght down with Vo, you run at V, so in your frame, the rain is inclined and you can calculate alpha via V and Vo and that's the key.

cesiumfrog said:
(But consider your limit where Vo=0. Or in general, transform to the frame where this is so.)

The amount of water soaking a surface parallel to the constant rain fall is a constant of the path taken, and the amount of water soaking a perpendicular surface is proportional to the time spent, so running is always optimal.

In my model, if you stand still, or V= 0, you get infinite amount of water in your own ! And if you move at speed of light, you are dry.

pixel01 said:
And if you move at speed of light, you are dry.
We now have proof that light can't get wet.

Mk said:

Does that mean it is possible for one to make a a light rain shield or something??

Mk said:

Oh no, you should run at an infinite speed to be dry. V= c and you still get some. lol

pixel01 said:
Oh no, you should run at an infinite speed to be dry.
I thought it would have been already evident to you that this is also wrong. If you ran at infinite speed, you would "run into" the drops that had already fallen to face-height, and so your front would still get wet to some non-zero extent. Now that we agree your model is flawed, if you wish to vainly insist that it is still applicable in some range of lower speeds then you will need to provide a clearly argued explanation of your derivation.

cesiumfrog said:
I thought it would have been already evident to you that this is also wrong. If you ran at infinite speed, you would "run into" the drops that had already fallen to face-height, and so your front would still get wet to some non-zero extent. Now that we agree your model is flawed, if you wish to vainly insist that it is still applicable in some range of lower speeds then you will need to provide a clearly argued explanation of your derivation.

I think I have explained the expression for W2 quite clearly already. And after reanalyze the formulae, I haven't find a flaw in it. Imagine, if you could go at infinite speed, you also exposed to the rain at no time at all (t=S/v), so you were not under the rain.
If you lash a rod very fast out in the rain, the rod may still be dry.

Last edited:
pixel01 said:
I think I have explained the expression for W2 quite clearly already. And after reanalyze the formulae, I haven't find a flaw in it. Imagine, if you could go at infinite speed, you also exposed to the rain at no time at all (t=S/v), so you were not under the rain. If you lash a rod very fast out in the rain, the rod may still be dry.

:cry:

Mk said:
Particle man, particle man ...

We assume that the density of water in the air is constant (so many grams per liter, say), given whatever velocity the drops have. The frontal surface sweeps out the same volume, hence same mass of water, from A to B regardless of how fast you walk or run, so the only difference is how wet you get on top. As stated above, the faster you go the less wet on top. I'm with Cesiumfrog.

I see that no one has factored in the puddles that I am able to skirt when walking but hit full on at a run. Thus splashing up more from the standing water on the ground.

Oh yeah, this was for a spherical chicken in a vacuum. :approve:

And if the rain is coming from behind then running faster isn't necessarily better: I think the optimum is [itex]v_0\ cosec\ \theta[/itex]..

also the mythbusters did this test and they said no more rain hits you if you walk or run

i think maybe the misunderstanding between pixel and cesium is that pixel starts running JUST before rain actually starts to fall and cesium starts to run while rain is already falling.

without doing any math i like to thing of this problem as I am Hiro Nakamura of the show Heroes. If rain is already falling at an angle and I stop time (move at infinite speed...ok its not possible but just bear with me), then I can walk from point a to point b, but I'll get wet AT LEAST a certain amount in the front of my body because i am walking through all the droplets frozen in time. But if I chose to walk so slow that it takes me the length of time that the rainstorm lasts to go from point a to point b, then I'll get REALLY really wet... both on the head and in the front of my body.

so basically my conclusion is that when it starts raining... run!

Do we really need computer programs to solve this? I would have thought a simple continuity argument from v=0 to v=infinity would have sufficed. (There’s really no need to invoke relativity.) Of course, I may be wrong and anyway, the programs will give a good idea about the graph of wetness and speed.

But nobody has asked the really interesting question: Why did the spherical chicken cross the road in the rain?

pixel01 said:
I think I have explained the expression for W2 quite clearly already. And after reanalyze the formulae, I haven't find a flaw in it. Imagine, if you could go at infinite speed, you also exposed to the rain at no time at all (t=S/v), so you were not under the rain.
If you lash a rod very fast out in the rain, the rod may still be dry.

You didn't explain your expressions whatsoever! You simply wrote two equations and then said "these correspond to these quantities". Cesiumfrog is just asking for a derivation, which is an extremely simple request, and if you want your answer to be really accepted you have to give a derivation, not just punch out two equations and say "tada!".

Shooting star said:
Why did the spherical chicken cross the road in the rain?

To see if he would get wet or not. :smile:

It seems like a read somewhere the answer to this was that you would get the same amount of wetness either way. Don't remember where I read it though.

Intuitively I would think this to be true. Since there is a certain amount of rain that the rather large cross-sectional area of your front side would be running into (as compared to that of your head and shoulders), any benefits of running faster to avoid the amount of time your head (plus any other horizontal areas) is exposed to the rate of rain fall would cancel out (if not cause you to get wetter).

I'll see if I can find that paper on this subject.

Just think that you are moving with speed very close to zero, that is, infinitesimally slowly. If the rain is eternal, then the amount of water falling on you from the top would tend to infinity.

Now mentally compare it with the situation when you make a high speed dash. Surely, this time the amount of water or the number of drops you sweep up in the front and the top must be finite, even though the rain will be slanted wrt you.

Please think.

stewartcs said:
To see if he would get wet or not. :smile:

Good! :approve:

Anyway, it'll taste the same in both cases.

Sorry, I have rechecked the model and the formula for W2 had a mistake. When V increases, the flux of rain according to the moving direction also increases, so the new flux J' in that direction must be multiplied by the speed V. Then the function of wetness according to speed V is calculated as :

W = W1+W2 = S*J*A1/V + S*J*A2*sin(atan(V/Vo)).

So if the speed goes to infinity, W1 leads to zero, W2 will approach S*J*A2 which is constant.
If you run, you can get more wet or less wet depending on the ratio of A1/A2.
Here I draw some curves according to different A1/A2 ratio, r = 0.1:0.7

Attachments

• rain.JPG
    rain.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
pixel, care to explain how you obtained the formula? For example, what physical reasoning led to your sin of arctan term?

By the way, with your new formula, if the rain stops falling (Vo=0) then the wetness will still depend on the speed of travel. Doesn't that seem wrong to you?

cesiumfrog said:
pixel, care to explain how you obtained the formula? For example, what physical reasoning led to your sin of arctan term?

By the way, with your new formula, if the rain stops falling (Vo=0) then the wetness will still depend on the speed of travel. Doesn't that seem wrong to you?

In the formula, the wetness W = W1 + W2. If the rain drops stop falling, we have sin(atan(V/Vo))=1, => W2= constant, then W depends only on W1 which in turn depends on V.
But when Vo=0, then J must be zero as well (according to the vertical direction) son W1 is equal zero ==> W must be constant.
I have assumed Vo = constant in my model (have not thought of Vo=0).
If necessary, I can make it into the model so it will cover the case when the rain drops stay still.

i once solved this problem. You had to have a function
E(v), which is Extra area exposed to the rain, which was a function of how fast you run, because if you run really fast, your pants will get exposed too, plus your arms etc.
I modeled the extra area as E(v) = c*sqrt(v), for some constant c that i can't remember, and arrived at conclusion that you get least wet at 16 m/s... now... you can't run that fast, so just run as fast as u can was my conclusion

my basic equation was

Amount of rain = Rain accumulated on your head + Rain accumulated on your Extra area + Constant rain that you have to "carve out" with your body in front of you.
Then i took derivative wrt v, and found the minimum

Last edited:
On discovery channel the myth busters answered this question. Using rain coming straight down they found the faster you went the more wet you became. Even if traveling faster meant spending less time in the rain. You must also consider that when traveling at a speed you are receiving rain on a larger surface area (your chest legs face etc) than you would just standing still.