Ghost Sightings in UK Since Roman Times: Is There a Time Limit?

In summary: European DVD's don't work here. :frown:In summary, there have been reports of ghosts in the UK dating back to the Roman era, but none from earlier time periods. Similarly, there have been sightings of ghost species such as horses and dogs, but not of cows, sheep, or dinosaurs. It is unclear why certain animals are more commonly reported as ghosts. The Stone Tape theory, which suggests that surroundings can pick up vibrations or emanations to create ghosts, has been popularized in British entertainment but has no scientific basis. Hospitals, despite having a high number of deaths, are not commonly reported as haunted. Some suggest that ghosts may be the result of features in the structure of buildings, such as resonant frequencies
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
do ghosts have a time limit, in the uk i think ghosts have
been sighted back to the roman era, but as far as i know
no stone, bronze or iron age ghosts have been sighted,
is the same true for species ,horses ,dogs have been
reported, but again as far as i know no cows, sheep,
Dino's etc, what is going on does one have to be in the
club to become a ghost?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple years ago there was a guy on The Art Bell show who maintained that Nessie was the ghost of an aquatic dinosaur.

wolram said:
do ghosts have a time limit, in the uk i think ghosts have
been sighted back to the roman era, but as far as i know
no stone, bronze or iron age ghosts have been sighted,
is the same true for species ,horses ,dogs have been
reported, but again as far as i know no cows, sheep,
Dino's etc, what is going on does one have to be in the
club to become a ghost?
I've never thought about that. Interesting. Isn't one hypothesis that the "surroundings" pick up the vibrations or emanations and that's why it's ususally buildings that have ghosts? As for outdoor ghosts, too much has changed since those earlier times.

I've always wondered if there really were ghosts, why aren't hospitals the most haunted places on earth? Think of how many people die in a hospital daily. Victims of tragic accidents, murder victims, etc...

Evo said:
Isn't one hypothesis that the "surroundings" pick up the vibrations or emanations and that's why it's ususally buildings that have ghosts?
That's The Stone Tape "theory". I put "theory" in quotes because there was no actual theory, just some random speculation by a British professor. The British entertainment industry got hold of the idea and made a famous horror story based on the notion:

Google Search: The Stone Tape
Address:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=The+Stone+Tape&btnG=Google+Search

There isn't actually any mechanism remotely like this known to science.

zoobyshoe said:
That's The Stone Tape "theory". I put "theory" in quotes because there was no actual theory, just some random speculation by a British professor. The British entertainment industry got hold of the idea and made a famous horror story based on the notion:

Google Search: The Stone Tape
Address:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=The+Stone+Tape&btnG=Google+Search

There isn't actually any mechanism remotely like this known to science.
Do you know if this is available in the US? European DVD's don't work here. :frown:

Evo said:
Do you know if this is available in the US?
I have no idea. Sorry.
European DVD's don't work here. :frown:
You mean they don't work here because they're not here, they're in Europe? Or is there really a difference in the two technologies?

So what is the oldest ghost? apart from nessie.
do people see cave men ghosts?
ghost animals?
Evo said hospitals ought to be the most haunted
i guess that's true, but where are ghosts most often
sighted?

zoobyshoe said:
You mean they don't work here because they're not here, they're in Europe? Or is there really a difference in the two technologies?
Not a difference in technology. There's some type of coding in them that won't allow you to play US DVD's in Europe & vice versa. The players sold in the US & Europe are set up to read the coding.

DVD-Roms or just regular actualy DVD players? Because for the drives for comp you can flashbios and remove the international lock on DVDs...

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php -- Search your drive and flash firmware and your done!

The actual DVD player.

:(

Is there a flashbios for actualy DVD players?

wolram said:
So what is the oldest ghost? apart from nessie.
ghost animals?
sighted?
Good questions Wolram, now I've got to do some checking. :smile:

wolram said:
So what is the oldest ghost?
Like you, the oldest ghost I have ever heard reported was from a man who saw the legs of marching Roman soldiers when he was standing in some Roman ruins unearthed in London.
apart from nessie.
I don't think anyine thinks Nessie is a ghost except that one guy.
I've never heard of any, but people here see Native American ghosts. I would expect aboriginal ghosts are reported in Australia. There would be no telling how "old" they were.
ghost animals?
I haven't heard of any.
sighted?
The majority of the stories I've heard involve seeing them in residential settings. A smaller percentage of stories are about outdoor sightings.

I took my DVD player to a local electonics store, got myself a 20€ chip and now I can play Asian and US dvd's as well :biggrin:

I suggest you ask around to see if you can do something similar

Thanks Dimitri!

What about Vic Tandy's suggestion that some ghosts are just the result of features of the structues that they are felt or seen in? He says that rooms of a certain shape that have a resonant frequency of 19Hz (caused to vibrate by an underground river or wind etc) can induce feelings of fear and glimpses of ghostly shapes out of the corner of the eye. This is probably most likely to happen in old houses or other 'spooky' places, as they prime us to attribute weird experiences to supernatural forces.

He first put out this idea, backed up by only a small amount of research, a few years ago. I haven't heard much about the 19Hz business since.

By the way, in my opinion the only good ghost is a dead ghost. End of.

the number 42 said:
What about Vic Tandy's suggestion that some ghosts are just the result of features of the structues that they are felt or seen in? He says that rooms of a certain shape that have a resonant frequency of 19Hz (caused to vibrate by an underground river or wind etc) can induce feelings of fear and glimpses of ghostly shapes out of the corner of the eye.

We have definately discussed every detail and element of this theory:

UK Man "Foils" Ghosts - Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums
Address:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=13559

True, but did any of you go out and do some field work, or make 19Hz generators to spook yourselves out? Thing is, that was all a couple of years ago - has anyone got any updates?

Anyway to address the orignal question, I think there was programme on the TV (UK) about research into the resonant frequencies of ancient burial sites. Sorry to not exactly give the full reference, but this might be where some of the earliest ghostly experiences might have been had.

Apologies, the last posting was only a few months ago. But see what I mean? It FEELS like it was ages ago! Come on, let's dredge this one up.

From The Folklore of warwickshire.

Walton Hall Hotel in Stratford------ Several people claim
to have seen a spectral white horse which gallops over
the front lawns at five yearly intervals, on 9th october.

Wolram, I found this reference to a stone age ghost.

STONE AGE GHOST

Perhaps the oldest ghost story recorded in the world.

The Stone Age Ghost gallops on horseback across Cranborne Chase in Dorset.

This ghost appears in furs and rides his shaggy mount bareback with an axe in his hand.

Some people believe the Stone Age Ghost was a warrior.

http://www.paralumun.com/ghostage.htm

it's also listed here - http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/List of haunted locations

Last edited by a moderator:
the number 42 said:
Apologies, the last posting was only a few months ago. But see what I mean? It FEELS like it was ages ago! Come on, let's dredge this one up.
Just post something at the end of that thread. It will come forward to the top of the list. Wolram's thread here is about a completely different aspect of "ghosts".

wolram said:
From The Folklore of warwickshire.

Walton Hall Hotel in Stratford------ Several people claim
to have seen a spectral white horse which gallops over
the front lawns at five yearly intervals, on 9th october.
It's hard to swallow the notion of a horse ghost that appears according to the schedule of a human calendar, and adjusts for leap year each time.

zoobyshoe said:
It's hard to swallow the notion of a horse ghost that appears according to the schedule of a human calendar, and adjusts for leap year each time.
It's obviously a very smart horse. :wink:

Nice one Evo, STONE AGE GHOST.

I agree with zooby with regard to Ghost horse ,I'm
always skeptical about folklore, but if several
unconnected eye witnesses report the same
apparition its worth investigating, and its a bit
of fun :smile:

zoobyshoe said:

To be fair, what would a ghost use for a clock? The problem is that were something like this to be true, we have no way to gauge what does and does not make sense. Maybe "real" ghosts show up when we expect them...who knows?

Last edited:
wolram said:
STONE AGE GHOST.

I was thinking that as far as historical accounts, this might partly be a question of language. For example, might an apparition seen by people in 2000 BC be perceived as a deity, or a sign from a god, or a warning of some kind? Maybe ghostly encounters can take on many different unrecognized names throughout different cultures, and going way back in time.

Next, some of the "New Age" stuff would imply that ghosts do have a time limit - the idea being that something holds them [the spirit of the deceased] in this world, something that they are not willing to part with, but that eventually they do find their way: "Go towards the light" now being a cliché.

1. What is the evidence for ghost sightings in the UK since Roman times?

There have been numerous reported sightings of ghosts in the UK since Roman times. These have been documented in various historical texts, personal accounts, and modern investigations.

2. How reliable are the reports of ghost sightings in the UK since Roman times?

The reliability of ghost sightings is often debated and varies depending on the source of the report. Some sightings may be attributed to natural phenomena or psychological factors, while others may be considered more credible based on multiple witness accounts and well-documented evidence.

3. Are there any explanations for ghost sightings in the UK since Roman times?

There are many theories and explanations for ghost sightings in the UK, including residual energy, spirits of the deceased, and hoaxes. However, there is no scientific evidence to definitively explain these sightings.

4. Is there a time limit for ghost sightings in the UK since Roman times?

There is no specific time limit for ghost sightings in the UK. Reports of ghost sightings have been documented throughout history and continue to this day. Some believe that ghosts may linger in a specific location for a certain amount of time, but there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

5. Have there been any recent ghost sightings in the UK since Roman times?

Yes, there have been numerous recent ghost sightings in the UK. Some of these sightings have been investigated by paranormal researchers and have gained media attention. However, the validity of these sightings is still up for debate.