1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghost Detectors

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    "Ghost Detectors"

So I work at a popular tourist attraction that is well known for being "haunted." Needless to say, I get a lot of people asking about ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts. I need some kind of evidence to acknowledge stuff of the kind. Anyway, a week or two ago this couple showed up with a "ghost detector." I looked at it, and it was meter that measured milligauss. My physics class just blew over electromagnetism, so I only know what I've gathered from the internets. This is a measurement of the strength of an electromagnet field, yes? When I held it up to an exit sign, it went haywire. How significant is 1 milligauss? This thing went from like 1.5 to 6.0 milligauss.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: "Ghost Detectors"

The earth's field is about 400-600 milli Gauss depending on where you live.
    Anything with AC wiring, a battery or an electric motor is going to give a significant field.

Or maybe your exit sign is haunted!

4. Jul 26, 2008 #3

So is there some reason the "normal" reading was like 1.5 milli gauss and not 400-600? Or is it a matter of me remember the scale wrong/a faulty unit (I doubt that ghost detectors maintain a high quality standard).

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: typo

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. Jul 26, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The scale might be measuring extra field, although if it was really measuring 1mGa you would get that by just moving it a fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook