Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive.

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

From a local TV station's report:

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the first post didn't really phase me as people get killed by trains all the time, but THAT is too much!

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    Yeah... well having spent some time in North Carolina, I wish I could say that I was surprised. To the man's credit, it does seem that his last act was to push his girlfriend off the tracks (giving her a chance to live). Stupid people, but not bad people at least. Still, when people ask what possible harm can come of these little hobbies, this would seem to be a good object lesson.

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5

Evo

It sounds like they've made up the "hero" thing to make his death look better. According to a 911 call

7. Aug 28, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I seriously doubt that we will see a flurry of ghost hunter deaths. People get killed by trains because they walk down the tracks while wearing ear buds [headphones], but no one complains about head phones. Stupid is stupid.

People are doing this stuff all over the world now, but this is the first time that I've heard about anything like this.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  8. Aug 28, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So now do you think there'll be a legend of a ghost-train-hunter ghost, who will push you off the tracks and save you from an oncoming actual train? But only on the anniversary of his death, of course.

9. Aug 28, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And it happened on the anniversary of the original crash.

10. Aug 28, 2010 #9
    Wow. Just lay down next to the tracks! It's a bit thunderous, but at least you don't have to lose your life if you're caught on a trestle.

11. Aug 28, 2010 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know if it's survivable to lay in between the tracks?

12. Aug 28, 2010 #11
    I wouldn't attempt it. The clearance between the cow/dear/moose-catcher and the ties isn't all that much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nieK4GHov-Y", but you can see how low that thing goes. The idea isn't so much to "catch" the cow, but to ensure that its carcass doesn't wind up beneath the train. At the very least it would stink up the train, but if a strong bone caught the tracks just right under one of the wheels, it could derail the train. Yes, I know - 60 tons of locomotive...

Speaking of which, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_HnZi-9c0&feature=related". The deer makes it, but you can still see how low the cowcatcher sits above the railroad ties.

I think anyone who tried it would stand a good chance of dying.

In the meantime, for something really spectacular, check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azV5bC2br-Q"!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  13. Aug 28, 2010 #12

Astronuc

There's about 5-6 inches clearance from the base to the top of the rail (if it's at least 80 lbm/yd), and perhaps another 2 inches or so to clear the front of the locomotive or the motors.

One would have to lay flat and turn head sideways, and maybe exhale.

Freight cars have more clearance.

Some typical rail cross-sections from AREA
    http://www.akrailroad.com/rail-sections [Broken]

High tonnage lines might use 132-136 lbm/yd rail.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Aug 28, 2010 #13

Clearance aside, I think you end up pooping yourself to death! :surprised

15. Aug 28, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes, no kidding :eek:!

16. Aug 28, 2010 #15

jtbell

I've seen reports of people surviving that way in the New York subway (underground/metro) after falling (or being pushed) off a station platform as a train was arriving. Of course, a subway train a few hundred feet long and already coming to a stop is one thing; a mile-long freight train at cruising speed (which could be 60-80 miles per hour out West) is another thing.

17. Aug 30, 2010 #16
    Yikes! And grow young, to perhaps 1 or 2 years old...

It's a deathmatch, folks - please, anyone reading this here do NOT try this, as you will not survive.

18. Aug 30, 2010 #17
    Yeah, definitely not something that anyone should attempt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook