Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive.

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Locomotive
In summary, the group of people did not immediately run from the real train because they believed the train was -- in fact -- the 'ghost train' and posed no real threat, sheriff's officials said. This is the first time that I've heard about anything like this.
nismaratwork
Maybe I'm cynical, bitter, and tired of this paranormal "hunter' ****, but I find this absolutely hilarious. I'm sorry for the death, but the manner of death is Darwin Award material.

http://www.necn.com/08/28/10/Ghost-hunter-killed-on-railroad-tracks-i/landing.html?blockID=299563&feedID=4207

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From a http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13054055:

The group of people did not immediately run from the real train because they believed the train was -- in fact -- the 'ghost train' and posed no real threat, sheriff's officials said.

Okay, the first post didn't really phase me as people get killed by trains all the time, but THAT is too much!

Yeah... well having spent some time in North Carolina, I wish I could say that I was surprised. To the man's credit, it does seem that his last act was to push his girlfriend off the tracks (giving her a chance to live). Stupid people, but not bad people at least. Still, when people ask what possible harm can come of these little hobbies, this would seem to be a good object lesson.

It sounds like they've made up the "hero" thing to make his death look better. According to a 911 call
A caller to 911 told dispatchers that all but three of the group were able to get off the tracks. The caller said that Kaiser, another man, and a woman, all fell.

nismaratwork said:
Still, when people ask what possible harm can come of these little hobbies, this would seem to be a good object lesson.

I seriously doubt that we will see a flurry of ghost hunter deaths. People get killed by trains because they walk down the tracks while wearing ear buds [headphones], but no one complains about head phones. Stupid is stupid.

People are doing this stuff all over the world now, but this is the first time that I've heard about anything like this.

Last edited:
So now do you think there'll be a legend of a ghost-train-hunter ghost, who will push you off the tracks and save you from an oncoming actual train? But only on the anniversary of his death, of course.

lisab said:
So now do you think there'll be a legend of a ghost-train-hunter ghost, who will push you off the tracks and save you from an oncoming actual train? But only on the anniversary of his death, of course.

Yes! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And it happened on the anniversary of the original crash.

Wow. Just lay down next to the tracks! It's a bit thunderous, but at least you don't have to lose your life if you're caught on a trestle.

mugaliens said:
Wow. Just lay down next to the tracks! It's a bit thunderous, but at least you don't have to lose your life if you're caught on a trestle.

Does anyone know if it's survivable to lay in between the tracks?

lisab said:

I wouldn't attempt it. The clearance between the cow/dear/moose-catcher and the ties isn't all that much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nieK4GHov-Y", but you can see how low that thing goes. The idea isn't so much to "catch" the cow, but to ensure that its carcass doesn't wind up beneath the train. At the very least it would stink up the train, but if a strong bone caught the tracks just right under one of the wheels, it could derail the train. Yes, I know - 60 tons of locomotive...

Speaking of which, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_HnZi-9c0&feature=related". The deer makes it, but you can still see how low the cowcatcher sits above the railroad ties.

I think anyone who tried it would stand a good chance of dying.

In the meantime, for something really spectacular, check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azV5bC2br-Q"!

lisab said:
There's about 5-6 inches clearance from the base to the top of the rail (if it's at least 80 lbm/yd), and perhaps another 2 inches or so to clear the front of the locomotive or the motors.

One would have to lay flat and turn head sideways, and maybe exhale.

Freight cars have more clearance.

Some typical rail cross-sections from AREA
http://www.akrailroad.com/rail-sections

High tonnage lines might use 132-136 lbm/yd rail.

lisab said:

Clearance aside, I think you end up pooping yourself to death!

nismaratwork said:
Clearance aside, I think you end up pooping yourself to death!

Yikes, no kidding :eek:!

lisab said:

I've seen reports of people surviving that way in the New York subway (underground/metro) after falling (or being pushed) off a station platform as a train was arriving. Of course, a subway train a few hundred feet long and already coming to a stop is one thing; a mile-long freight train at cruising speed (which could be 60-80 miles per hour out West) is another thing.

Astronuc said:
One would have to lay flat and turn head sideways, and maybe exhale.

Yikes! And grow young, to perhaps 1 or 2 years old...

It's a deathmatch, folks - please, anyone reading this here do NOT try this, as you will not survive.

mugaliens said:
Yikes! And grow young, to perhaps 1 or 2 years old...

It's a deathmatch, folks - please, anyone reading this here do NOT try this, as you will not survive.

Yeah, definitely not something that anyone should attempt.

1. What is the premise of "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive"?

The premise of "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive" is a group of paranormal investigators who explore a haunted train and its history. The locomotive is rumored to be haunted by the spirits of its past passengers and crew members.

2. Is "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive" based on a true story?

No, "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive" is a fictional story and not based on a true event or person. It is a work of fiction and any similarities to real-life events or people are purely coincidental.

3. Who are the main characters in "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive"?

The main characters in "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive" are a team of paranormal investigators, including a skeptical leader, a psychic medium, a tech expert, and a historian. They are joined by a train conductor who knows the history of the haunted locomotive.

4. What inspired the creation of "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive"?

The idea for "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive" was inspired by a fascination with both ghost hunting and train history. The combination of the two themes created a unique and exciting story that explores the unknown and the past.

5. Are there any plans for a sequel to "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive"?

At this time, there are no plans for a sequel to "Ghost Hunters Meet Locomotive". However, the writer has not ruled out the possibility of continuing the story in the future.

Back