Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghost in the Shell remake

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    I saw it last night and rather enjoyed it. I can understand how the anime purists dislike it however. One unsurprising criticism is that the film maker opted for more action than further exploring the interesting philosophical aspects of the plot. It could run very deep and slightly disappointed they didn't want to split it up into two films which I think they could have easily done. Anyway, what do you all think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2
    It's on my list. Will return after viewing. I saw the original, may have to dig it up to watch again before going.

ETA: Downloading from Amazon now.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

The complaint I saw on another forum was that it's a generic knockoff of Robocop more than a faithful remake of GitS.

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4
    Is there more than three people on Earth who would be surprised by that?

6. Apr 5, 2017 #5

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Well, you know. One always hopes for some ghost in the shells one gets.

7. Apr 5, 2017 #6
    I just hope Whollyweird doesn't screw things up too badly. Or that they screw things up epically badly. Either/or.

8. Apr 5, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I haven't seen the original, but I certainly didn't think of this as a Robocop knockoff.

9. Apr 5, 2017 #8

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Here, I'll quote the bit:

10. Apr 5, 2017 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Huh. That definitely changes my view a bit.

11. Apr 5, 2017 #10
    BTW, the dialog in the English dubbed version always sounds ... awkward to me.

12. Apr 6, 2017 #11
    Havent seen yet, just like to note, the GITS anime series didnt have much philosophy neither, so i think it is quite forgiveable to me, if the film dont have that.

13. Apr 10, 2017 #12

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have found GITS the anime movie to have more "atmosphere" and philosophical weight than the entire Matrix movie franchise that is loosely based on/inspired by GITS. My blood turned cold during the dialog-free motorboat sequence with the Japanese folk song soundtrack:

https : / / youtu . be / dsQ5zkR7siE

Would be interesting to see if the remake has any of that soul.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  14. Apr 11, 2017 #13
    Have you ever known Whollyweird to mess anything up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted