Ghost in the Shell Remake: Action vs. Philosophy

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary: I haven't seen yet, just like to note, the GITS anime series didnt have much philosophy neither, so i think it is quite forgiveable to me, if the film don't have that.
I saw it last night and rather enjoyed it. I can understand how the anime purists dislike it however. One unsurprising criticism is that the film maker opted for more action than further exploring the interesting philosophical aspects of the plot. It could run very deep and slightly disappointed they didn't want to split it up into two films which I think they could have easily done. Anyway, what do you all think?

Likes EnumaElish
Physics news on Phys.org
It's on my list. Will return after viewing. I saw the original, may have to dig it up to watch again before going.

ETA: Downloading from Amazon now.

The complaint I saw on another forum was that it's a generic knockoff of Robocop more than a faithful remake of GitS.

Bandersnatch said:
The complaint I saw on another forum was that it's a generic knockoff of Robocop more than a faithful remake of GitS.
Is there more than three people on Earth who would be surprised by that?

Well, you know. One always hopes for some ghost in the shells one gets.

Bandersnatch said:
Well, you know. One always hopes for some ghost in the shells one gets.
I just hope Whollyweird doesn't screw things up too badly. Or that they screw things up epically badly. Either/or.

Bandersnatch said:

I haven't seen the original, but I certainly didn't think of this as a Robocop knockoff.

Drakkith said:
I haven't seen the original, but I certainly didn't think of this as a Robocop knockoff.
Here, I'll quote the bit:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163047.msg7412453#new said:
GITS 2017:
- Cyberpunk dystopia ruled by Hanka Robotics
- Major has body replaced by robotics
- Suffers lost memories, identity crises and questions her humanity
- Sympathetic sidekick in her workplace helps her overcome these
- Ordered destroyed by the people who created her once she gets too close to the corporate conspiracy, goes rogue
- The corporation that created Major ends up being the villains, and the CEO is the ultimate bad guy killed off at the end of the film
- Film ends with Major returning to her work at Section 9 once Hanka Robotics is cleaned out

GITS 1995:
- Cyberpunk dystopia littered with advertising but not necessarily dominated by anyone factor
- Major is curious about her robotic/electronic nature, rather than distressed about losing her natural body. To paraphrase: "A certain voice, a certain face, seeing a certain hand when you wake up, these things are all me, but not only these. Information and a network I'm connected to. These things all define me, but at the same time they also impose certain limitations."
- Sympathetic sidekick doesn't really understand her plight, but goes along anyway
- Government organization's AI gone rogue turns out to have caused the plot. Major chases him down alone to answer her questions about the possibilities of cybernetic life
- Film ends with Major, presumed dead, disappearing into the city at night with her new companion/symbiote

Robocop 1987:
- Cyberpunk dystopia ruled by a corporation
- Murphy has body replaced by robotics
- Suffers lost memories, identity crises and questions his humanity
- Sympathetic sidekick on the force helps him overcome these
- Ordered destroyed once he gets too close to the corporate conspiracy, goes rogue
- OCP ends up being the villain and the CEO is the final bad guy taken out
- Film ends with Murphy returning to the police force once OCP is cleared out

Likes phinds and EnumaElish
Bandersnatch said:
Here, I'll quote the bit:

Huh. That definitely changes my view a bit.

BTW, the dialog in the English dubbed version always sounds ... awkward to me.

Havent seen yet, just like to note, the GITS anime series didnt have much philosophy neither, so i think it is quite forgiveable to me, if the film don't have that.

I have found GITS the anime movie to have more "atmosphere" and philosophical weight than the entire Matrix movie franchise that is loosely based on/inspired by GITS. My blood turned cold during the dialog-free motorboat sequence with the Japanese folk song soundtrack:

https : / / youtu . be / dsQ5zkR7siE

Would be interesting to see if the remake has any of that soul.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
I have found GITS the anime movie to have more "atmosphere" and philosophical weight than the entire Matrix movie franchise that is loosely based on/inspired by GITS. My blood turned cold during the dialog-free motorboat sequence with the Japanese folk song soundtrack:

Would be interesting to see if the remake has any of that soul.
Have you ever known Whollyweird to mess anything up?

Likes EnumaElish

What is "Ghost in the Shell"?

"Ghost in the Shell" is a Japanese science fiction media franchise that originated as a manga series written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow. It has since been adapted into various forms of media, including animated films, television series, and video games.

When was the "Ghost in the Shell" remake released?

The live-action remake of "Ghost in the Shell" was released on March 31, 2017 in the United States.

Who directed the "Ghost in the Shell" remake?

The "Ghost in the Shell" remake was directed by Rupert Sanders, who is known for his work on other films such as "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Black Widow".

Is the "Ghost in the Shell" remake faithful to the original source material?

The "Ghost in the Shell" remake takes inspiration from the original manga and anime, but it also introduces new elements and changes to the story. Some fans of the franchise have criticized these changes, while others have praised the film for its unique interpretation.

Did the "Ghost in the Shell" remake receive positive reviews?

The "Ghost in the Shell" remake received mixed reviews from critics and audiences. While some praised its stunning visuals and faithful representation of the source material, others criticized its lack of depth and character development. Ultimately, the film's success is subjective and up to individual interpretation.