Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghost kitty

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love ghost stories. I love cats. I love ghost stories about cats.
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page1153.html?theme=light
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    I slowly turned up my monitor's brightness and contrast and all of a sudden WTF A CAT????

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm really curious to see what shows up on Wollie's web cam. I want a live feed set up so we can all watch for ghosties.

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I think I'll not be able to sleep tonight. And no, I'm not joking.

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

At the very least, the photo has a big section in the lower-left photoshop'd out of it (open it in a photo editor and crank-up the gamma). Big red flag that it's a hoax.

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like a good photoshop job, especially with the way they blurred all around the edges to try to blend it in with the surroundings.

I remember the fun photos I got with an old film camera when I managed to use the same film twice (hint, be sure you rewind the film all the way back into the cannister so you know it's already exposed, especially if you're prone to getting your exposed and unexposed film mixed up). I had horses sitting on people's spoons or running into their mouths. It was quite fun. Looked sort of ghostly with the double exposure. :biggrin:

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm.. I will take a look at that in Photoshop tomorrow. I have no decent image editing software on this laptop.

9. Nov 5, 2006 #8
    Are you talking about this lower left section?
    [​IMG]

10. Nov 5, 2006 #9

russ_watters

Actually, I was thinking it really is a single photo of a cat, just staged, and there was something in the frame that would have shown it.

The cat would be out of focus, so close to the camera, though I was thinking that it was closer to being in focus than it should be for so close. Not sure, though - many better digital cameras can focus in the dark.

11. Nov 5, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know. To me, it looks like more than just out of focus type blurry. It looks like someone went all around the edges and tried to intentionally blur quite a bit outward to blend it in to the background image. It's probably why you also see an area that's empty. I think they took two images, altered the contrast, and superimposed them.

Sheesh, if they were going to fake a ghost, they at least should have tinkered with the opacity so you could see through the cat. :biggrin:

12. Nov 5, 2006 #11

russ_watters

Yes. Here's what it looks like with just the gamma upped a bunch. It almost looks like it is just so dark that there's no data there, but it would be very unsual for there to be exactly no data. And there isn't a very good gradient between dark and light areas - it is too sharp of a drop off. Also, the top of the black area covers part of the white sheet - the brightest part of the frame.

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  13. Nov 5, 2006 #12
    I wonder why they took that part out...

14. Nov 5, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah, it does look very fishy.

15. Nov 5, 2006 #14

russ_watters

What I want to know is who the woman in the shawl is... :bugeye:

16. Nov 6, 2006 #15
    That image freaked me out. Not because of the thought that the ghost was real, but just because it looked kinda freaky.

17. Nov 6, 2006 #16
    That's what I was thinking :surprised

18. Nov 6, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you been dipping into Ivan's catnip basket too? :bugeye: What woman in the shawl? :confused:

19. Nov 6, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see it either..:confused:

20. Nov 6, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look in the upper left section of the high gamma shot. There appears to be a cloaked figure with an ET looking face. It results from the light reflecting on the lace.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  21. Nov 6, 2006 #20

russ_watters

Her face is the brightest thing in the uncorrected shot. Yes, she does have a bit of a horse-face...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?