Ghost Month

• Thread starter lucas_
  • Start date
Today (or tomorrow) depending on your time zone is ghost month day. Here is what it is:

http://www.holidayscalendar.com/event/ghost-festival/"Ghost Festival Celebrated by Buddhists and Taoists all over Asia, the Ghost Festival is a holiday that is celebrated on the fifteenth day of the seventh month in the Chinese calendar. It is believed that on this day the gates of hell are opened and the dead are allowed to walk the earth in search for food."

Ramadan also occurs around this time. I'd like to know if your tradition has similar superstition around this time?

Where do you think all these originated? The source of the myths and legends? In the US and Europe, do you have ghost month too? What month is it?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Ramadan also occurs around this time.
Ramadan ended 2-1/2 months ago. If you allow +/- 2.5 months, half the year falls into this category.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman
Mentor
This thread is spooky. I'm getting freaked out. Is this related to the time travel thread that we just deleted tomorrow? o0)

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 3 others
DavidSnider
Gold Member
In the US and Europe, do you have ghost month too? What month is it?
We have halloween on October 31st.

DavidSnider
Gold Member
I'm curious, did (or does) anyone here from Europe\North America ever observe halloween like a religious holiday? I don't recall anyone ever celebrating this as anything other than a candy grab or party excuse.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I'm curious, did (or does) anyone here from Europe\North America ever observe halloween like a religious holiday? I don't recall anyone ever celebrating this as anything other than a candy grab or party excuse.
All Hallow's Eve (the evening before All Saints Day) started out as a religious observance, but no longer is.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread is spooky. I'm getting freaked out. Is this related to the time travel thread that we just deleted tomorrow? o0)
Not yet, but it will be.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and phinds
Ramadan also occurs around this time.
Ramadan is a lunar month that's part of a 12-month lunar year, and therefore drifts through the seasons, earlier each time. The Chinese calendar is luni-solar and keeps pace with the seasons because it adds a leap month when necessary. They cannot be compared.

Why are Chinese dates so different from the 365 calendar? for example, their new year is around February or vary. Which is more accurate or really indicate of the earth position around the sun?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Which is more accurate or really indicate of the earth position around the sun?
Huh? The sun is where it is on a given date, no matter what word you use to identify that date.