Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghost photos?

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I found this to be an interesting article by Benjamin Radford on orb photography. Anyone have any photos with really unexplained effects? I tend to think that most "orb" photographs I've seen are so obviously dust or small insects. Who was the first to claim dust was actually "ghosts" Does anyone know the origin?

http://www.livescience.com/othernews/061030_ghost_photos.html

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've got a few in my photographs. I'd always guessed they'd cropped up during development for some reason. Has anyone seen any in digital photos?

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I have some great shots of orbs on digital. IIRC, in this case they were rain drops but they look much like dust orbs. I'll try to find one and post later. Also, nowadays, most stuff out there is digital, and there are plenty of recent "orb" shots found on the net.

5. Dec 3, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Lens flares? Sure, any time you use a lens, you can get lens flares. It doesn't matter if it is digital or not.

As for ghosts, I have a few accidental ghost photos of me I've taken at night, with no flash. With a 5+ second exposure, I occasionally move before the exposure is finished.

[edit] I said lens flares, but there are several different effects, and I'm not sure if that's an all-encompassing word. You can have dust (or water) in the air, dust in the lens, or internal reflection.

6. Dec 4, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was taken as the first of a before-and-after set for an equipment installation. Since I was standing right at the door, the rain drops had to be no more than about three feet in front of the camera, and probably more like a foot away.
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9435/rainorbsom3.jpg

I also made a great smokey ghost shot - the misty type - by using smoke and a flash. It was in another thread, but it seems that imageshack has dumped their database. I will try to find the original.... I think it's on my wife's computer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  7. Dec 4, 2006 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've seen some fantastic photos from delayed exposure at my work. One shows a girl standing against a brick wall, half transparent so the brickwork shows through. There's no trail to show where she left/entered the exposure was so long. Its really spooky. I wish I knew where it was, but its part of a collection of about 2000 so I'm not likely to find it again.

Well thats shown me :smile:

8. Dec 4, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, Tuff Shed may sell their structures pre-loaded with ghosts.

9. Dec 5, 2006 #8

Evo

I remember that ghost shot, can you find it?

Good orb shots, btw.

10. Dec 5, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you noticed that imageshack dumped!!! Much of the caption competition is gone. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope I still have it. With Tsu in Cal on dial-up, it may take a little time. I'm almost sure that I had that on her computer. Of course, if she hadn't taken the camera I could just make another one. :rolleyes:

11. Dec 7, 2006 #10
    If I remember correctly, it originated from Dave of the International Ghost Hunters Society. At least he was the one who coined the term "orb" to describe these 'anomalies'.

12. Dec 7, 2006 #11

Evo

Thanks, so he's to blame for all this orb nonsense. :grumpy:

Ivan, I noticed a number of my photos were deleted and had to upload them again.

13. Dec 25, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Dec 26, 2006 #13
    I have one!

Here is a picture of my son looking at an orb that I didn't see. The picture was taken with a normal digital camera (I think 2 megapixles) at normal speed with autoflash. I am sure it is a dustparticle but it looks awesome because he is looking at it.

Here are two more pictures, same camera, same room, same res. They are taken seconds apart. In the first an orb is over my son's left sholder and not in the second. He didn't see this one, but he was laughing for no reason so it may have been telling him a joke.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  15. Jan 6, 2007 #14
    hello all, I investigate the paranormal, have to say though...re orbs that they mainly seem to be moisture, dust, airborn particles, camera malfunctions etc of course we can only really be 99.9999999 recurring on that one, there always is an element open to discussion !

I do on the other hand have an interesting pic taken a few years back from a site that is giving continual alleged evidence, if you wish to see it then message me please !

16. Jan 6, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello ja50n

please feel free to upload to the image to a service like imageshack
    http://www.imageshack.us/

Then you can post the image to this thread using the direct link option through imageshack. Or, you can upload here using the attachment option.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  17. Jan 16, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/215_raynham_hall_1.shtml

18. Jan 16, 2007 #17

baywax

Gold Member

This brown lady ghost descending the staircase photo reminds me of the photographic hoax that was perpetrated back in 1917 or so. That affair involved exposures of little fairies placed over exposures of an english garden. The whole story is here

http://www.lhup.edu/~DSIMANEK/cooper.htm

however there are no examples of the photos but I'm sure they are readily available in google.

The trouble with photographic evidence is that it is often accompanied with stories that may or may not be true. Today its a little easier to dissect the process a photograph has be through to arrive at the image it offers but, in the day of the brown ghost people were still a little haunted by photography to begin with. I mean, it was a fascinating and new invention... as far as anyone knew.

19. Jan 22, 2007 #18
  20. Jan 22, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do they think they are orbs and not moths?

21. Jan 23, 2007 #20
    orbs?

Well, they appear elongated, leaving a trail and also do seem to have an inner light. If time lapse was used the people would leave a trail as well. Maybe they could be fire flies? I don't know much about doctoring film but I suppose these could have been faked, though it would probably take a fair bit of effort to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?