Ghosts in the News

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Church celebrates its haunted history

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (AP) -- As the legend goes, St. Mary's Episcopal Church is haunted by the ghost of Father Henry David Jardine, a 19th century priest whose footsteps still echo throughout the Gothic-style sanctuary. [continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/30/haunted.church.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Ivan, I thought this may be of interest to you :smile:

Thompson Road House. Former residence, now a McMenamin’s club, haunted by eccentric former owner, who has been seen, heard and felt. Electronics affected

From Western Oregon and the Oregon Coast Hauntings

Looking forward to it! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kerrie said:
Looking forward to it! :biggrin:

:uhh: Us too...I think... :surprised

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ghosts stalk Thai tsunami survivors

"Go to Kata Beach", the seven foreign tourists told him, after agreeing on a 200 baht fee. He drove a while, but then felt numb all over his body. Looking around he saw the cab was empty. He had had what he thinks was an encounter with the ghosts that many say are haunting the beaches and resorts on Thailand's Andaman coast.

...Such reports, according to psychologist Dr Wanlop Piyamanutham, are signs of post traumatic stress disorder. He pointed to the fact that many stories started to appear about 10 days after the wave struck. [continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4202457.stm

Kerrie said:
how about ghost stories from family or friends :smile:

my husband's mother (i guess my mother in law now :biggrin: ) has a claim of seeing an old man rocking in a rocking chair in a landfill she and her brother were once walking by as youngsters...

my step-mother stayed in a Louisiana bed-n-breakfast and saw a well known friendly ghost...

an old roommate's mother of mine owns a house in historic Oregon City that a spirit still occupies-a former resident still dwells in this 100 year old house...about a year ago i was in this house with my ex-roommate to help clean it up for a new set of renters, i was really hoping to experience this spirit that was residing in it, but had no luck...

wow...interesting all of these mothers i know have had these experiences...

When I was a child, my mother claims she saw the same ghost twice. Once it was walking next to the pool in our backyard at night. The other it was standing at the foot of my brother's bed watching him sleep.

If I ever saw that I'd probably scream like a little gir.

Ghosts in the machine

I once attended a lecture on imprinting how events can be 'superimposed' upon particular areas, especially emotionally charged ones, highly speculative but a very interesting explanation for ghosts; I think the sheer weight of anecdotal evidence for ghosts, and the fact that it appears to be a global phenomina, means there should be serious scientific research into this; in the UK where I live in Hampshire - Incidently them most haunted county in the most haunted country in the world- there are several societies set up to explore paranormal phenomina scientifically, unfortunately to prove anything in there field they need to be more rigorous than any scientist in more mainstream fields, but some very interesting and anaomalous results have been found. I once attended a lecture from a Cambridge fellow who was using a horse tranquiliser to simulate near death experience, his results indicated that we all experience these things near death and that you can even stimulate near death experiences in anyone: anyway back to ghosts, the ignorance and downright blinkered parts of the scientific coomunity need to get off there high horse and start acknowledging that something bizarre is going on, and that the evidence all be it non scientific is overwhelming, let's find out what if anything is behind Ghosts, ESP, or whatever before we dismiss it so arbitrarily, after all aren't we meant to be exploring the unknown, what makes QM any more credible than ghosts? :smile:

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Louis Cypher said:
I think the sheer weight of anecdotal evidence for ghosts, and the fact that it appears to be a global phenomina, means there should be serious scientific research into this

How would you propose this research be carried out?

Ghosts most certainly are real, but they'll have to be scientifically explainable before any research will be done on them. Which is abit of a catch 22 to put it mildly.

Last edited:

The way it is currently researched using infrared and conventional cameras, sophisticated sound recording devices, and electromagnetic detectors, simply place recording instruments in areas where sitings are frequent like the architypical 'haunted mansions' etc and see if any data is collected.

I've seen footage of what looks like a ghost walking slowly across a mansion houses grounds, caused quite a stir among the researchers at the time, shame it turned out to be a leaf blowing across the camera :smile:

Anyway we need some objective scientific research; in England the psyclical Research Centre do stirling work but there needs to be more. If we can proove ghosts as simple delusions or esp as bogus or anything for that matter it will give us an insight into the human mind, and hey who knows it might all be true? :smile:

Last edited: